Mac Won't Boot After Installing RAM

Reaction score
I have a mid-2011 iMac that originally came with 4G RAM which I recently replaced with 16G. It's the same brand/type of RAM as the original, each slot has the same amount of RAM (4G in each of the 4 slots). I have been able to start the computer with the new RAM. However, it seems that if I unplug the computer for any reason and then plug it back in, it will not start for two or three days. After a couple days, it starts and seems to work fine, except once my Finder application wouldn't start properly. Any ideas what the problem is?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention which version of OS X you're using? You need to run Disk Utility and verify your hard drive. The Mid 2011 iMac series came with either a Seagate 500 GB or optional Seagate 1 TB drive. Both are known to be troublesome and prone to failure. If you have not done so already, make sure you backup your data as soon as possible.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you say Won't Start, what do you mean? No startup sound? Back screen?

What brand of memory did you install?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Have you removed the memory upgrade and retested? This will identify if the issue relates to your new memory or is just coincidental. Would you please elaborate on 'will not start'? Is it dead as if you haven't pressed the power switch,and if it is, if you listened close to the top rear ventilation slot can you hear the hard drive or fans running?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I had the same thoughts as techiesteve. If you feel the new ram is the source of the trouble. Remove the new ram…reinstall the old ram…then test again.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I am using El Capitan. I will verify my hard drive when/if my computer will ever start again. And my data is backed up on an external hard drive, thank goodness.

When I press the power button, nothing happens. No fans, startup chime, nothing. It's as if it isn't plugged in. (But it is. I checked.)

I did remove the upgraded memory and put the original back in, but it still took about 2 or 3 days before it would start.

The brand of memory I installed is Elpida. Both the original and upgraded memory are this brand.

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did remove the upgraded memory and put the original back in, but it still took about 2 or 3 days before it would start.

This would indicate that the new ram is not the trouble (as indicated by the thread title).

The brand of memory I installed is Elpida. Both the original and upgraded memory are this brand.

Never heard of this brand. Don't know where you are located in the world. We usually recommend ram from Crucial (crucial.com) or OWC (macsales.com). Overall may or may not be a ram issue. Can't really eliminate ram as an issue until known good ram is used. Or we figure out something else is the problem.

The 2-3 days not starting issue (to me) would seem to be power related as things are described. I would try doing an SMC Reset:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Maybe you can describe more specifically what you mean by "will not start" for 2-3 days. This can mean a number of things:

- press power button & get no "life"…nothing.
- press power button & display lights up…but computer does not boot (this is not a "won't start" situation). This can be a bad hard drive situation.

* Nick

M

MacInWin

Also, can you say how many time (estimated) you try it during that 2-3 days? Or are you just letting it sit 2-3 days and then trying again?

OP
C
Reaction score
I would guess I push the power button about 5-10 times a day until it starts. I am going to bring the computer to a certified Apple repair center and have them look at it. I will post again in this thread when I learn more if anyone is curious.

M

MacInWin

Could you give us the answers to Nick's questions in Post #7? What happens when you push the button?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would guess I push the power button about 5-10 times a day until it starts.

For what it's worth. If when you press the power button absolutely nothing happens...this is not a ram issue.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.