How about a new camera for 2016?

C

chas_m

It is a full-frame medium format camera, and those are never cheap, but wow. Pretty impressive from the images and spec sheet, but I'll wait till the big camera sites weigh in on this one. I'm getting pretty acceptable results from my current cameras with a little tweaking, and may start thinking about a real, honest-to-gosh DSLR at some point if it means doing less tweaking (not that I have to do a lot, and it's fairly enjoyable, but ...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think I'll stick to my old Apple Quicktake 200, original LC and Sytem 7.0.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
For landscape pro's printing to A1 or A0 this would be a very attractive proposal and a good alternative to stitching images together to get the highest resolution and, perhaps more importantly, dynamic range possible for their work.

For the ordinary enthusiast who's equipment doesn't have to pay for itself then the price is waaaaaay out of reach unless you've more money than sense.

I've arrived at my dream combination as far as I'm concerned: a Nikon D800 with 16-35 f4 lens. It does everything I want it to and can produce stunningly detailed A3 prints (I invested in a Canon Pixma Pro-10s as I found I was printing more and more at A3 so the cost was justified).

limeslade.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I'll have two!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
There are actually some fairly reasonably priced Medium Format digital cameras out there now; I got interested a while back, then started looking at lens prices. Even if they gave me the body for free I couldn't afford to replicate my current lens set up.
So, I'll stay with my Nikon D610 and assorted kit, thank you. ;)

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, I'll stay with my Nikon D610 and assorted kit, thank you. ;)

Come on Mike you know you REALLY want one of these. Just a simple $49K withdrawal from the 401k!!!;) And delaying retirement for another 10 years!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
The D500 looks really interesting - a long awaited replacement for the D300/D300S.

C

chas_m

I've never had enough confidence in my camera skills to step into the expense/addiction of a high-quality DSLR, chiefly because I love zooming in to things, and those are pricey lenses at a certain point. So I've stuck to Superzooms, but I get some pretty good results every once in a while, and will probably move on to DSLRs when I have more time to devote to photography. Here's one I shot recently on the Canon SX50 HS from across the building that I was happy with:

cathedral-wm.jpg

Last edited:

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Nice pic . . .

A side note, most venturing into photography look at equipment investment (I use investment here loosely) backwards. The important thing is, as you mentioned, lenses. I have far more money tied up in lenses than in camera bodies. Secondary to that, though sometimes of major importance, is sensor technology and size. My interest is lowlight photography, which is why I have gone with the added expense of full-frame DSLR.

Bottom line, is depending upon your use a DSLR may not really offer higher quality than a mirror less or bridge camera.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's one I shot recently on the Canon SX50 HS from across the building that I was happy with:

Very nice chas. The pipe organ reminded me of a church we used to attend when I was a young boy living in New York City. You just don't see them anymore; everything nowadays is electronic with fancy keyboards. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Very nice chas. The pipe organ reminded me of a church we used to attend when I was a young boy living in New York City. You just don't see them anymore; everything nowadays is electronic with fancy keyboards. ;)

Not to go off topic too far, but maybe brag a bit, but we are very lucky to have some excellent pipe organs in or general area, including the one in Christ Church Cathedral that chas' shot showed, and some just blocks from each other as well as world renown restorers.

i.e.: http://www.islandnet.com/~smalley/Past_Projects.html etc… as a small example…

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.