Change Playlists view in iTunes 12 to look like iTunes 11

Reaction score
How can I change the default playlists view in iTunes 12 to make it look like the older versions of iTunes? The default view option is 'playlist', which leaves a ton of wasted space between each song so that I can only see a dozen songs at a time. I want the default to be the 'songs' choice for ALL playlists, current and future.

Also, there is now a huge area of wasted space at the top of the screen that just is just wasted space and redundant information. How can I hide this entire section, so that only the rows for songs in the playlist show up? Basically, I want my playlists view to look like the simple row and column view that is used when the entire Music library is selected.

C

chas_m

Not to my knowledge. You can change the sort options of a given playlist, but I'm not seeing the "tons of wasted space" you're talking about (a bit at the top, sure, but just a little), so maybe I'm not understanding the problem. Maybe you have your resolution set very low? Here's a screenshot of one of my spoken word library playlists:

Playlists-example.jpg

M

MacInWin

On the view posted by chas_m, where it says "Playlist" in the upper right corner, click there and pick "Songs." That should then show you the list in songs. There will be a banner at the top but all the tracks will be listed one to a line, nicely packed.

OP
B
Reaction score
MacInWin, I know how to do that for one playlist at a time, but I don't want to have to switch it for all of my hundred playlists individually, and for every playlist I create in the future.

I really do not want that banner at the top. Everything listed in that is listed somewhere else, so it is 100% usesless, and I should be able to fit almost an entire albums worth of more songs in that space.

M

MacInWin

Well, sorry that didn't help. What you want is not available in the current version.

C

chas_m

If you're not seeing at minimum 12 or more tracks, you need a bigger monitor, or to set your resolution back to normal, or new glasses. :)

OP
B
Reaction score
My resolution is fine. I just don't want to be forced to have, at minimum, a fifth of the available space completely wasted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.