Previous apple devices still can hunt you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I've got this email couple of days ego from Apple support:

Genius Bar for Your Mac
Friday, January 1, 2016, 12:45 p.m.
Apple Store, Rockaway
301 Mt. Hope Avenue
Rockaway, NJ

I didn't think much of it, since I did not make the appointment, have no issues with my MBP and don't live in the sate of NJ; well, at least until I've got this email:

We’d like to hear from you.

You recently contacted AppleCare Telephone Support.
We'd love to hear about the experience.
Your Advisor: Jennifer
Your Case ID: 101xxxxxxx (actual #s removed)
Take the survey

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Sincerely,
Apple Support

Apple support website shows more details of the case ID:

Why: iTunes Player, C1MGWDMMDV13, Recovery HD (not OS installation)
When: Wednesday, December 30, 2015

I did have a number of Apple devices, iPhones, iPads, and MBPs that had been registered to me that I no longer own. Logging in to my apple ID shows no devices at all, my current MBK does not show up either for some reason. Is there any other website from Apple where device ownership can be looked up?

Do people get service notifications about previously owned Apple devices?

TIA...

PS: Yes, I did change the password for my Apple ID, security questions/answers, checked for invoices, etc., without any issues...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Did one of your old devices that you got rid of have had apple care left on it? I purchased a MB Air on eBay that has apple care still available but since I did not purchase it I imagine it is still in the original owner's name.

I did find this information which I found interesting. I did not know you could transfer apple care to the new owner or move left over apple care to a new device.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
One possibility is an Apple employee mis keyed in a serial number of a product, and the serial number matches a product you own. They would then contact you via the email address you used to originally register or purchase it. If not, then they are contacting you instead of the new owner of a MacBook Pro 13" (Late 2011) 2.4GHz 2x2GB 500GB HD with the serial number you quoted. That shouldn't happen as Apple should have verified the owners name and address.

Only Apple can check a serial number to see if it was previously registered to someone else, and they would not disclose any information relating to that.

I have only come across Apple survey emails being sent to a previous products owner. This can happen when a product is repaired or exchanged, and the new owner doesn't disclose their email address. The repair survey email is then automatically sent to the email address they have on file, belonging to the previous owner.

Your Apple ID isn't made insecure due to this, I would simply ignore it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Lisa, the MBP did have Applecare but it is now expired.

OP
Cr00zng
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Thanks Lisa.... As techiesteve had stated, the apple care long expired. For that matter, I haven't had the MBP in question for about three to four years, initially, it did have one year apple care.

I was more concerned about someone accessing my Apple ID and trying to charge services and/or devices to my credit card on record. Even if the credit card number on record is a ShopSafe number that long expired and had a limit of 100 bucks about five years ego.
Since as far as Apple is concerned my previous MBP is still "mine" it seems, could it be reported stolen? I'm not going to do that, just curious...

@techiesteve... It seemed that the "C1MGWDMMDV13" is either a model and/or serial number. Where did you look up the physical specs that sound right? Thanks for confirming that my Apple ID is secure...
TIA...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yes, my 2013 MB Air is still under apple care until June 2016 which the previous owner purchased. I have had no issues with it so I have never tried to find out what would happen. I was just speculating as to what could be going on.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.