Best LG monitor as a second monitor for iMac Retina 5K

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am interested in getting a second monitor for my Retina 5k, 27", late 2014 iMac. I'm currently looking at the LG Electronics UM57 25UM57 25-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

What cables would I need to connect the two monitors?

Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
That is not a bad monitor. It does not have the same resolution as your iMac which will make a difference in how it looks.

You will need a Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to HDMI Adapter for the iMac and then an HDMI cable to connect to the LG monitor the two.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the information about the cable and monitor, it's much appreciated!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What will you mainly use the second monitor for. I've used second monitors for several years now. I've usually used them for tool pallets. i've also used it for things like e-mail and monitoring file conversions which don't need the highest resolution. If that's your goal the lower resolution won't really be a bother.

One other advantage is that in some programs the higher resolution of the newer Macs produces text in menu items than can be a bit too small. I find a lower resolution monitor good for some of those programs/tasks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.