Photo advice and help with text on pics please...

Reaction score
Hi all. I just discovered that I can add text to photos with Preview, but I need to be able to "stamp" all my pics with the same text and don't want to have to type it in each time. Is there something that I can use there that would be similar to the "brush tool" on Photoshop? Here's my normal routine for the pics: 1. Open in Photoshop to crop and adjust levels on the white background if needed. 2. Rename all pics in Photoshop while there and close pics. 3. Open pics in Preview to bulk resize them, then close them. 4. Reopen in Photoshop again to put text on with the "brushstroke" tool, then close them again.

Now if there's something I can do to make less steps and less time - I would be soooooo happy! I have hundreds of pics to do this to... You could look at some of the pics in my link below if my explanation of the text on the pics doesn't make sense.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.
Sharon

Last edited:
OP
mountaindreamlife
Reaction score
Thanks Charles, but I'm looking to use Photoshop and Preview. No time or desire to learn a new program right now - WAAYYY too many photos to get processed!

C

chas_m

The two programs I suggest would both allow you to do steps 2, 3, and 4 in your process in one go. If the text doesn't change (like a copyright notice or some such), it could do hundreds of them in a single shot.

You asked for helpful suggestions. That's a helpful suggestion. You should AT LEAST take a look at them.

OP
mountaindreamlife
Reaction score
True enough. I have discovered since posting the question that I can control/tab from picture to picture, so that saves a lot of time. Couple that with the brushstroke "text" add on, and it's working a bit more streamlined. Right now I'm using that instead of Preview. If I could have a "saved" text paste function in Preview, that would still be better. Something where I just make a click like the brush feature in photoshop would be the best thing for me though.

Reaction score
Checkout picmarkr.com to add custom watermark on your photos, there are plenty more available on the internet.

OP
mountaindreamlife
Reaction score
I appreciate the comments for 3rd party apps/programs - but I think everyone keeps missing the original question which is about Preview. IN PREVIEW I would like to be able to "stamp" all my pics with the same text and don't want to have to type it in each time. Is there something that I can use there that would be similar to the "brush tool" on Photoshop? I have neither the time, nor the desire for another program. I already have Preview and like it, just want the "stamp" for the text - that's all... Thanks for understanding everyone.

Reaction score
One way to make a stamp/water mark is to make a PNG file with your Text and or image in it. There are lots of ways to make this file, but to stay with what comes on a Mac you can use TextEdit and Preview. Open TextEdit and type the text you want and save as a PDF file. Open the PDF in Preview and crop to a size you like and the use the “Instant Alpha” tool from the Markup tool bar to delete all the white background. Next Export as a PNG file. Now you can use this file to add to as many photos and anytime you want. To use with Preview drag the photos you want to Mark to the dock and drop on Preview and they will all open in the side bar, then drag the file you made and drop on preview and it will be in the side bar below all the others. Click on the the image of the water mark, not in the side bar, and Copy it with a command c, next click in the side bar to the photo you want to paste it in and use command v. You can now move the water mark around on the photo and resize to look the best in each photo. All you really need is a Transparent image file with your Mark on it, You can use it to Copy and Paste in about any Image editor you like to use.

Reaction score
If you're using Photoshop, just make a new brush, with your text as the brush. Instructions are all over the web.
Most people use it to "sign/copyright" their pics.

OP
mountaindreamlife
Reaction score
Thank you Pomeroy. Sounds like the brush tool in Photoshop is still going to be the fastest and easiest. Beginning to think that from a time and "effort" (read # of keystrokes/mouse clicks), just doing the whole thing from Photoshop will be more productive.

Reaction score
If you're using Photoshop then why not create an action to write the text and I'm pretty sure you can do batch jobs as well? I have done it the past, but not lately.

OP
mountaindreamlife
Reaction score
Cradom, that's exactly what I've done now. Working pretty darn good. I think I'm done with Preview after all the "tweaking" I've done on photoshop. Got it down pretty smooth now.
Strider - the brush that Cradom referenced is probably what you're talking about. If so, it works well.

Thank you all for your time and help. I think we can mark this one as "solved"!
Sharon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.