Home Music Studio (What type of Mac)?

Reaction score
Hi. I would like to build a home music studio to create professional film soundtracks.

Now I'm not sure where to start, the only thing I know is that I want to use Logic Pro as I have been a user for years.
I already have an audio interface, midi keyboard and monitors.

I am looking for an iMac desktop or Mac g5 or something with a good processor, I think? that will be able to run Logic Pro X with around 80 tracks.

I have been looking at the 21.5" Imac and like the look of these, but would this run everything?

My sample libraries I have on a 6TB external hard drive so I just have to focus on getting the Mac to run everything smoothly.

I just don't know what model to get and what model would be capable of running everything. I am on a budget of around £500 - £700.
Hopefully you guys have some great advice and if I can set it up for cheaper please help.

Thanks a lot!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Some of our audio gurus can give you more specific advice than I can but I'd say avoid the G5 and go with a Mac that has an Intel processor. I don't recall the specific year that the switch to Intel was made but Macs haven't used a G5 processor in a decade or more. As a general rule I'd say get the most recent processor and largest amount of memory you can swing.

OP
N
Reaction score
I'm confused about the Intel Processors. There's so many. Would any work for what I need or am I best to go for a specific type? Thanks

C

chas_m

You're overthinking this because you've been a PC guy, I'm guessing.

Yes, processor plays a role: get a quad-core chip (i7) if you can. The actual SPECIFIC chip isn't really that important, Apple tunes its machines to run on the chip they put in it.

If you do this for a living, then I'd probably suggest a Mac Pro. I have some friends in LA who actually do do this for a living (soundtracks for films, commercials, theatrical productions, etc) and they use either Mac Pros or top-of-the-line iMacs, because this is a simple business expense for them, the cost of which they make back in a day or two (minus the software, obviously).

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks, Yeah I have been a PC guy. ;)

That all makes sense, unfortunately I cannot afford the Mac Pro, If I could it be a sure thing. Could you recommend any models?

I have been searching eBay and found these specs (Would they work)?

PROCESSOR i3 3.2 GHz

MODEL 11.2

1 TB HARD DRIVE,

8 GB RAM

Thanks in advance!

C

chas_m

The i3 is the very lowest-end of the Core "i" series, so no I wouldn't recommend that.

I'd suggest the middle or high-end 27-inch 5K Retina iMac upgraded to the quad-core i7 chip for a desktop if one was buying new. I'd avoid the 21.5-inch model because you can't upgrade the RAM later, and besides the 5K is just freakin' GORGEOUS.

A few years ago I would have suggested one of the last Intel Mac Pros (prior to the 2013 revision), but they're just getting on too much these days, what, six years after the last major revision (again not counting the 2013 revamp)? Yeah, you need something fairly recent to hedge your investment with future-proofing. Check the refurbs too, you might see something there that would suit you and save a little money (the refurbs come with a full warranty and are eligible for AppleCare just like the new ones).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.