Upgrade from Lion to El Cap?

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Mid 2011 iMac currently running Lion 10.7.5. 16 gig ram and 200+ gig hard drive space available. Every thing is up to date with a time machine backup.

The guy at the local Mac service center said that upgrading to El Cap was a "big jump" up from Lion and suggested I move to Yosemite (he's happy to do it for $95).

El Cap is free and I'm comfortable doing the upgrade myself. Should I go for it?

Is there any thing I should be concerned about or aware of?

Thanks for your advice.

Chuck

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Upgrading to El Capitan is a big jump but the jump to Yosemite is almost as big. There may be some apps that need to be updated though I suspect most of them will be minor. Check here for a good source of that information.

Some users reported issues with El Capitan initially but many of those issues have been cleaned up by subsequent updates. I've been running it since the first beta and it's running fine for me. It also seems to make better use of system resources than Yosemite did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just go to El Capitan and let him sing for his $95.00. All you need is an Apple ID and it is a free download. Evrything else is just great ~ memory, hard drive space, backup.

C

chas_m

Run away from that crook and never look back. $95 to install a free OS upgrade that is nearly identical to El Cap, just not as polished? That's darn near criminal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.