Windows 10

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Hi folks,

I know some (many...) of you use Windows machines as well as Macs, and I was hoping that some kind soul might be able to help out with a problem.

I am my dad's tech support, and his Win8 machine has been badgering him for weeks to upgrade to 10. Since my dad hates Win8 he was keen to try this, so that meant me trying it! I use Win7 at work, but never have used anything after that and haven't had a Win machine of my own for about 4 years now so really not up to date on the OS.

The upgrade seemed to go smoothly, but quickly threw up a couple of issues, one around email and one more subtle one around the user profile. I fixed the email problems only to discover that the computer thinks we are logged in with a temporary profile, even though we are logged in using my dad's outlook.com credentials. Because of this, none of the fixes I did for his email problems seem to have been retained. :Shouting:

I did a bit of internet searching for the temp profile issue and the fixes suggested hacking the registry, which I could do but would rather not. Has anyone else come across this problem after upgrading from 8.1 to 10 and is there a less invasive solution anyone can suggest?

All suggestions very gratefully received!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post has been moved to the appropriate forum as it is not a subject for our Lounge.

C

chas_m

Sounds like a good time to introduce your dad to the joy of Macs, or possibly iPads depending on his use.

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tried that (and I bought him an iPad a few years back, which he does like). But whilst he is retired he works part time as an engineer, designing stuff using AutoCAD, so he wants a desktop of some kind.

And with all the teething trouble with El Cap has made me more reluctant to recommend OSX so whole heartedly.

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your post has been moved to the appropriate forum as it is not a subject for our Lounge.

Since I'm asking about how to upgrade Windows on a Lenovo, I don't see anywhere other than the lounge to post about it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since I'm asking about how to upgrade Windows on a Lenovo, I don't see anywhere other than the lounge to post about it?

Our lounge is for off topic subjects that we generally do not discuss in the other forums. This forum (Running Windows......) is actually ideal for your question and will likely draw more response.

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem healed itself.

I hate Windows :-/

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The problem healed itself.

I hate Windows :-/

Glad its working. BTW I am not a large fan of Windows either! :D

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I presume there was some kind of background process that failed originally but which managed to recover when I booted the computer yesterday. It would just have been nice if there had been more feedback from the updater.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
I am very suspicious of the Windows hot upgrade. I have recently upgraded my Bootcamp partition and I had issue after issue until I finally did a system restore which gave me a clean install of the OS. In defense of Microsoft, other platforms (Linux, etc.) also have issues from upgrading an old system vs. doing a clean install.

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Believe me, I've tried!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.