Hide files & theft recovery?

Reaction score
have Macbook, 10.6.8 Leopard, i back up on external HD. always concerned about loss & theft.

***is there a good method or product for 'hiding' files on laptop? is Password Protection or Firmware Password good enough?

***theft recovery...Undercover, Lojack For Laptops, Prey, any others? cost is not an issue. pros & cons?

thank you very much, kurt

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A firmware password will prevent a thief from accessing data on your MacBook or even changing out the hard drive, and booting from the optical drive. However, on older MacBooks like yours, it can be circumvented. On new machines it can not. You can also use FileVault to encrypt the data on your MacBook but that will not prevent a thief from swapping out the hard drive. As far as theft recovery software is concerned, you can do the searching with Google and compare them. One note of caution... any protection you implement such as a firmware password or FileVault is only good if you keep the password(s) in a safe place. Forget or lose a password, your MacBook is toast.

C

chas_m

My strategy has been simply to never have the MacBook Pro out of my sight when I am not at home. It does not get packed in checked luggage, it travels with me. If I'm at a cafe using the MBP and want to use the washroom, I pack up the unit and take it with me. On those rare occasions where I have to step away from it (but not completely out of sight), I mouse down to the lower left corner, which triggers a requirement to re-enter the login password (this is also required when restarting).

I'm aware that this would not stop a fleet-footed thief from dashing away with the unit, though there would generally be lots of witnesses if that happened, and I can activate Find My Mac quickly enough on another device that I could "lock it down" before a thief could get into it, even if they wanted to (chats with police on this topic indicate that few common thieves give a whit about your data; they want the machine to resell for cash). I could do more, like use Filevault or an Open Firmware password, but as it is never out of my sight and I'm not in circumstances where I often fear for its safety, I don't.

C

chas_m

have Macbook, 10.6.8 Leopard, i back up on external HD. always concerned about loss & theft.

One more thing: if you are as concerned about security as you say, you should really update that machine to a modern operating system version.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
A encrypted dmg folder will do the job, easily created with Disk Utility free and flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.