pptx not saving in hard drive

Reaction score
I purchased new macbook air and new 2016 version of MS office was installed. I copied files from my PC external hard drive into the macintosh HD. All ms word and ppt files could be opened. I started working on an old ppt document for past few days. Suddenly from today, the ppt file is saving into my desktop but not into the macintosh HD. Then I opened a new pptx file and tried saving it and it is same result. MS word files are fine. Why are my power point files not saving into my macintosh HD.

Reaction score
Does your Save dialog look like this? Try clicking where the blue arrow is pointing to open it up.
Select where you want to save it.

Save As 2015-12-25 03-25-49.png

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks. that is not the problem, the problem is it does not save in macintosh HD, it says it cannot save there. Why? I cannot put all my files in the desktop? there must be some bug or something preventing only my power point files in macintosh HD.

Does your Save dialog look like this? Try clicking where the blue arrow is pointing to open it up.
Select where you want to save it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
What do you mean when you say you purchased a new MacBook Pro and MS Office 2016 was installed? If it had MS Office on it when you bought it then it was not new. MS Office is OWNED by the person who installs it.
Secondly if you can save to the Desktop then you have saved to the HD. The Desktop is just a folder on the Macintosh HD Volume. This is not a place to save documents to, that's what the documents folder is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
B
Reaction score
sorry i was not clear, I purchased mS office and installed on my new macbook air. You are also correct that desktop is part of the hard drive. But I exactly stated my observation as it is. the power point file only saving on teh desktop and not inside any other folder in the HD. If I move my file form desktop into any other folder within HD, it does not open! it only opens if the file is placed on the desktop.

What do you mean when you say you purchased a new MacBook Pro and MS Office 2016 was installed? If it had MS Office on it when you bought it then it was not new. MS Office is OWNED by the person who installs it.
Secondly if you can save to the Desktop then you have saved to the HD. The Desktop is just a folder on the Macintosh HD Volume. This is not a place to save documents to, that's what the documents folder is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

M

MacInWin

Normally your files should be in your user folder. In Finder, that is the folder that in the left sidebar shows a little house icon. You should be able to put into that folder anything you need for your use. That location is called your Home folder. The name of that folder is your logon name. I don't know what the default MS uses for files, but if it isn't your home folder you should change the preferences to point to that location. If you save a file to the desktop and then move it somewhere else, when you try to open that from the "recent" files in your Office applications, it won't find it because you moved it. You'll have to find it where you moved it and open it from there.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Jake, I think the OP is running into a file permissions issue. On my iMac when I look at permissions on the entire drive the only users listed are System, Wheel, and Everyone. System is the only user that has read/write permissions. Everyone else is read only. The system is really expecting you to store files in one of the Documents folder inside your user folder.

@bashyram69 Single click on the icon for your hard drive and then use the Get Info command (command+I simultaneously). In the sharing section see if your username is listed. If not that's probably the problem It used to be possible to add your username to that list but I can't seem to do it at the moment. In the meantime here's a temporary fix:

1. Double click the hard drive so you can see the folders in a window. Make sure you are at the root level of the drive and not inside your user folder.
2. Right click a blank space in the window and choose New Folder from the drop down menu.
3. Name the folder whatever you like. You should be able to save files inside that folder.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It has to be a permissions issue of some sort like others are saying. Have you tried saving to the documents folder though inside users and your username? If that does not work, check what Sly and MacInWin suggested.

M

MacInWin

Sly, my main boot drive is System, Admin and Everyone, with System the only read and write. However, as an Admin, I can create a new folder at the root and in that case it's read/write for me, read only for everyone else and Admin. So the root of the drive may be System, but in effect any admin can create a folder there. But that isn't what I suggested to the OP. I suspect it's a permissions problem, too, but I wanted to see what the OP had to say about WHERE he moved the files that were on the desktop. From there maybe we can figure out what is going on.

But too many cooks in the kitchen, so I'll back out of this thread and let you guys sort it. Maybe something as simple a a re-boot could help?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
But too many cooks in the kitchen, so I'll back out of this thread and let you guys sort it. Maybe something as simple a a re-boot could help?

Don't back out. You give very good advice! I was just giving it a 2nd! :D

Reaction score
First, I don't recommend saving to the root of the drive. There's a reason you cant save there.
You need to save to your Home folder, preferably the Documents folder. If you need to save so that others can access it, use the /Users/Share folder or the Public folder in your Home folder.
Now, if you cant save to your Home folder, that's also a permissions problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I copied files from my PC external hard drive into the macintosh HD. All ms word and ppt files could be opened. I started working on an old ppt document for past few days. Suddenly from today, the ppt file is saving into my desktop but not into the macintosh HD.

I think this is what we may have failed to notice (bolded). It looks like an ownership problem could be at play here. Whenever files are copied from a PC external drive (assumed to be NTFS) ownership comes into play. Jake has the right idea.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this is what we may have failed to notice (bolded). It looks like an ownership problem could be at play here. Whenever files are copied from a PC external drive (assumed to be NTFS) ownership comes into play. Jake has the right idea.

Agree 100%!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I certainly didn't think of that. Permissions issues are certainly not my strong suite. I only noticed the issue I suggested because I ran into that recently on my iMac. For me it is not a huge issue since I don't often save files to the root level of the drive.

@Jake I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought your idea was a bad one. It's not, Thart was part of what prompted me to say in a rather clumsy way that the OS expects user files to be in certain places (namely the documents folder and its subfolders).

M

MacInWin

Nah, no problem, Sly! I was more worried about the OP getting TOO MUCH advice and getting confused. I just dropped out to quieten the conversation. No harm, no foul!

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for all suggestions and sorry for the delay as I was travelling without net connection. For some reason this problem is only happening with ppt and not with MS word?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.