Recover Empty Trash File (Best Option)

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I accentually deleted a folder, which was on my Desktop, while I was do some cleanings on my mac manually (rm -r *). Without notice I have put that folder into trash. I also emptied the trash one week ago. Unfortunately, I haven't set up time machine. "Fortunately", I had not been adding new file to the mac nor installing any new application. Today, I couldn't find it. then I realized it is gone now. understand there are many applications out there will recover the deleted, but not overwritten files, Please let me which is the best option if you have some experience in this. I am thinking running an external hard driver, tools to recover the data will be installed there. Please, please let me which is the best option if you have some experience in this. Thank you in advance!

C

chas_m

You can try the free trial of Drive Genius, which will allow you to see whether the file can BE recovered (don't hold your breath from a week ago, but best of luck) and then if so you would need to pay the $100 fee for the program to unlock the ability to retrieve it.

Pro tip going forward: stop storing things on the desktop. Also, develop a backup system and use it routinely.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the folder or files which were deleted have been overwritten, they are gone forever. The only possible way to get them back is to use a professional data recovery service. That kind of service is very expensive. You can go to the File Savers Data Recovery Service web site and ask about prices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.