Want to use my iMac Mid 2007 as a Monitor

Reaction score
Is it possible to use either my HDMI out socket or a lightning socket on my Macbook Pro Retina and connect to the iMac Mid 2007, using it as a Monitor? And what accessories and adaptors can I use to do this?

M

MacInWin

There are no input ports on the iMac so that's not possible to do. There are some ways to mirror the desktop to the iMac using software you install on the two machines, but from some reports it's laggy and not all that useful. Maybe someone who has used such software will chime in here.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What exactly are you trying to use the second screen for. That might affect which method that you use.

I used to use the built-in screen sharing / control functions in OS X to control my Mac Pro from another room. I could start some process that was going to take a long time without having to go into the room where that Mac was located. The machines don't have to be physically connected but they do have to be on the same network. How laggy this will be depends in part on the speed of your network connection. I don't remember if this method would let you have say the main program on one screen and tools on the other.

I have also used a program called ScreenRecycler. I used that program before Mac screen sharing improved. It lagged horribly but I was on an 802.11a or b network at the time and I am sure that was a lot of the problem. One of the things I liked was being able to have Photoshop, for example, while its tool pallets were on the second screen.

As you can see these methods are somewhat different and which is best depends upon what you are trying to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.