El Capitan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all.

I'm still on Mavericks and have been thinking of going to El Capitan.... at last. Just wondered if there was anything I should know ie; could I lose anything in the way of programmes, functionality, etc ?

Any help appreciated.

Peter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be bold and go fort. Nothing in my book.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
All right, but I know where Nambucca Heads is and I've got a big dog. ;)

C

chas_m

From Mavericks? Just make sure your software's up to date, that you have a bootable backup, and that should be all that's needed.

M

MacInWin

Probably the one tricky one is iPhoto. Make sure that you have the latest updates before moving up to El Cap. Only the most recent version is supported in El Cap, and that's for now. Support could be dropped at any time as Apple is replacing it with Photos. Photos is about the same thing, with some rearrangement of how it presents things, but some folks still prefer iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
if you are using iMovie 11(v9) and are not to keen on iMovie 10, then don't upgrade. iMovie 11, although it works, has major problems in El Capitan, the main one being that any photos placed in a Project show as black. This also happens with some video clips, but the audio still plays.

I'm staying on Yosemite for that reason.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that. Think I'll stay where I am for now.

Reaction score
I would go for it myself... In fact i just did. I had an early MacPro that was stuck in Lion, fought it for a long time but finally decided what the heck and picked up a 2009 MacPro with quad core, 16gb ram, 1T hard drive that already had Yosemite loaded on. Soon as i got it up and running i upgraded to El Capitan. All i can say is if this new one gives me as many years service as the other did it will be money well spent. Your quite likely to find and odd program here and there that won't work under El Capitan, but the really good ones will have new versions on the way that will work, and there are probably others out there that will get the job done instead so i wouldn't spend a lot of time back there in the shadows, come back to the light...

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha ha. I'm still arguing with myself whether to or not. I also have a macbook air with 1.3 GHz processor and 4GB, 1600 MHz DDR3 memory on Mavericks 10.9.5. Not sure if that can handle the upgrade.

C

chas_m

Should be fine -- El Cap actually uses fewer resources than Mavericks, and has a number of nice new features.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, I'll have another argument with myself and let you know what happens. Thanks all for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is a sad state of affairs hoody when you start arguing with yourself. Which side wins and which side loses has always been my problem doing this!

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my case it's always the wife.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.