The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired"

Reaction score
Hi

I have run a first aid and get the following "The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired". I do a cmd R boot up and run first aid and everything comes back ok. However when I restart and do another first aid in disk utility I get the same "The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired". I've been through this a number of times now.

My MacBook Pro 2012 runs great though. What's up?

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend you get Onyx from www.titanium.free.fr (get the right version for your version of OS X) and run it with the defaults. The first thing it does is to run the same check as first aid and reports back on the findings. The defaults the developer has set up for Onyx are all that the general user needs or wants, so you can run the maintenance tasks in Onyx to see if something is clogging up the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And next time you get into Recovery run Repair Disk which is what the message is asking you to do.

C

chas_m

Chances are very good that this is your OS trying to tell you that your hard drive is dying. Get your bootable or non-bootable backups (hopefully you have both) up to snuff RIGHT. NOW.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes ditto the above. I really like Carbon Copy Cloner as a backup despite the price of nearly $60.00. (Available here; https://bombich.com) I know that sounds a bit steep but believe me compared to data retrieval its cheap. My wife recently had the same problem with her HD and we just booted her MBP directly from her CCC backup until we could replace it. That way we did not have to update the backup. Incidentally if you do replace it I suggest a SSD if you are running a HDD as the speed improvement is quite noticeable. After installation of the new drive we just cloned the CCC backup back to the new drive and presto she was back up and running, so simple.

OP
G
Reaction score
And next time you get into Recovery run Repair Disk which is what the message is asking you to do.

Hi harryb2448

I'm running El Capitan and when I start up in recovery I don't see "Repair Disk" option only "First Aid" option. I'm at work writing this from memory on my phone so I may be mistaken. As I said in the first post I did click on the First Aid option and after running the check/repair everything comes back ok. I'm not very tech savvy so I may have missed a step somewhere.

Thanks to all for the responses. It is much appreciated.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Rod
Unfortunately with the Rand spiraling out of control to the $ sixty Dollars is a lot of Rands. :(

OP
G
Reaction score
I was wondering if doing a single user fsk or something like that, can't remember the exact term, would be beneficial?

M

MacInWin

Onyx is free at that website (it's shareware, actually, so if you like it you can contribute to the kitty later). That executes the system commands when it starts up. As for First Aid and Repair Disk, the El Cap version of Disk Utility no longer has a separate "Repair Disk" option, just First Aid. It should fix the problem (if it can) when it detects it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks MacInWin

I'll be getting home soon from work and will get Onyx and give it a try. While I'm at it, my back up phd has been stolen. Had a break in some weeks back and only realized it was gone when I looked for it yesterday. So my question is can I take my other phd ( 1tb) and partition it and use the one partition to back up? I'll not be in a position to get another until Saturday.

Thanks man

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok so after a bit of Google Fu I'm seriously hesitant to install and run programs like MacCleaner and Onyx. The interwebs seems split down the middle and there are anecdotal stories of woe after running them.
What to do? :\

M

MacInWin

Sure, just be aware that repartitioning will (most likely) delete whatever is on the drive now. And when you repartition, make sure there is enough space in the partition to hold your backup.

M

MacInWin

Onyx is safe. MacCleaner is not. Onyx is the only application for that purpose that is recommended here. I have it on my system, have had for years.

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok then I'll give it a try. Thank you for the help MacInWin. I will be back, no doubt, for further help if you don't mind?

M

MacInWin

Harry, Apple removed "Repair Disk" in El Capitan. It's now called "First Aid" and supposedly does both verify and repair at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would take that with a grain of salt Jake. Pity thought Repair Disk was still available under El Capitan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still don't think it runs the Repair Disk function alas otherwise Grant would not be running First Aid and then being told disk needs repair. Look like Disk Repair and Disk Warrior etc will get a new lease of life. One more instance of Apple taking the tool away from the user.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.