Email problem to/from

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I've had macs for years. Just purchased a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015).

Anyway, for one email this is what it does. When I open it in address book it looks perfectly correct. I have deleted the contact and made a new one and it does the same thing. Why does it make this address and apostrophe?

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 8.51.26 AM.png

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

I've had macs for years. Just purchased a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). It says OX 10.10.5 but I guess it installed it on its own because I sure didn't.
Not sure what that means. All Mac come with an operating system, that one happened to come with 10.10.5. And in the OS X world nothing installs "on its own." You have to give permission for any installation.

Anyway, for one email this is what it does. When I open it in address book it looks perfectly correct. I have deleted the contact and made a new one and it does the same thing. Why does it make this address and apostrophe?

View attachment 23400
In the second sentence what is "it"? Do you mean that there is an address there and that it's in your address book? How do you know it's THAT address, given that it's not visible in the email? Is this an email TO or FROM you? IF it's from you, how are you entering the addressee? Selecting it in the contacts list? Typing it in? How? And can you verify it's just THAT ONE email?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Nancy, hello.

I'm mildly confused. When you say you have just purchased a new Mac which clearly has Yosemite as the OS, did you buy this second hand? If new it surely would have El Capitan. So, assuming it was a used Mac, did the previous owner wipe everything off and leave you with a machine that opened as if new? There could be Apple ID issues here

It may seem that I'm asking stupid questions but I can't reconcile "new" with "early 2015 and Yosemite". And you seem surprised to find that OS on there.

Help me out here.

Ian

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Nancy, hello.

I'm mildly confused. When you say you have just purchased a new Mac which clearly has Yosemite as the OS, did you buy this second hand? If new it surely would have El Capitan. So, assuming it was a used Mac, did the previous owner wipe everything off and leave you with a machine that opened as if new? There could be Apple ID issues here

It may seem that I'm asking stupid questions but I can't reconcile "new" with "early 2015 and Yosemite". And you seem surprised to find that OS on there.

Help me out here.

Ian

Well I am very embarrassed. Yes, it came with Yosemite. It is El Capitan it keeps asking me to update to and I have not. Thanks for the eye opener and "duh" moment. Yes, I purchased it new.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
In the second sentence what is "it"? Do you mean that there is an address there and that it's in your address book? How do you know it's THAT address, given that it's not visible in the email? Is this an email TO or FROM you? IF it's from you, how are you entering the addressee? Selecting it in the contacts list? Typing it in? How? And can you verify it's just THAT ONE email?[/QUOTE]

"It" is the email address. This is a yahoo group and as such the email comes from the group and the reply goes to the group so that all emails are visible to all members. When I open the contact the address shows properly. There is no apostrophe in the contact list. When i go to the apostrophe and it says open in contact the correct address shows. No matter who sends the email that is what happens. I know it is THAT address because the re: line is always AFABODchairs which is the name of the group and the emails are all related to that group. That's about as clear as I can make it.

My comment on the OS was clearly wrong. I was thinking of El Capitan.

C

chas_m

Check the "previous recipients" list from within Mail (viewable under the Window menu) and see if there is an entry for (apostrophe) and if so, delete it.

Check the Contacts card you have for the group as well.

M

MacInWin

Also, check that the group has an actual name. It's possible that in your contacts there is a group named " ' " and that is the group being brought up.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I was about to post "I already did that" (because I did) and decided to look again. Logic just said it had to be something to do with that. Pulled that card up and saw nothing wrong. Then at second glance saw an apostrophe just sitting there alone outside the blue boxes that was the fields for names. Deleted it and all is perfect now!

Many thanks to everyone!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.