restart my mac

Reaction score
Hi,can you please help.I am unable to restart my mac pro in order to get an upgrade,because it is saying Dropbox is stopping me.
Many thanks

M

MacInWin

If there is a Dropbox icon on the top bar, click on it and then click the gear in the lower right corner and Quit dropbox. If the icon is not there, go to Applications/Utilities and start Activity Monitor. Find Dropbox in the list, click to highlight it and then click the X in the toolbar to close it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi, Closed dropbox by going into icon,gear,then close Dropbox,then I closed all other apps,and pressed restart.The computer cleared and just showed my wallpaper with nothing in the toolbar,it just stayed like that.In the end I had to press the power off button,on pressing it again,the computer started saying there was a problem shutting down !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The problem shutting down was probably just from you pressing the power button (not recommended, except in emergencies like yours). Can you press Restart again and have it behave to shut down, then boot up again?

M

MacInWin

Try to NEVER, if you can, press the power off button to shut down your Mac. That is not recommended except in dire emergencies. When doing an upgrade, restarts (shutdown and boot) can take quite a while because it is during that period of time that the actual file writing takes place. Powering it off can interrupt that writing and leave you with an unbootable machine. Aa toMACsh asked, will it now boot shut down properly? And will it reboot properly once shut down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The warning about not shutting own properly is standard after what you did with the on/ff button. Is the machine working okay now?

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi Jake,sorry for the delay in getting back to you,but didn't go on computer over the Christmas/New year period owing to PC World being busy,and i wanted to take it in and have them sort it out.I have now taken it in to PC World and they have sorted out the problem.Many thanks for your help.regards Denzil

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
That's great news. After all you've been through and our input, how about telling us what they did. How was it sorted? It would help others with a similar problem who visit our Forums.

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Mac Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.