Transfer data to new Mac from Snow Leopard system. Plus share with Windows devices

ELK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 GB Mac Mini, 10.6.8
I would appreciate input re how to share data, (especially pics and family videos), between computers and also re how to prepare for a new computer.

We currently have a Mac Mini, purchased mid 2008, that is still running Snow Leopard (1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM). I have TM back-ups on a Seagate drive. I have a bootable clone on one partition of a Western Digital EHD. The iPhoto library from one of our Mac Mini accounts is on the other partition of the WD drive, and it's backed up on TM. There's another iPhoto library still on one Mac Mini account. When I check for software updates, all software seems to be as up to date as possible.

In addition to the Mac Mini, our college-age children now have Windows 10 laptops, and someone gave us a desktop PC that runs Windows 7. We have updated router to AC. However internet service plan is slow: speed tests at 3.5 Mbps.

We originally used the Mac Mini for all internet activity, for iPhoto and making videos, for Mail, iTunes, and MS office, but we have temporarily switched most internet and music activity to Windows computer.

For our new purchase, I've thought about purchasing a refurbished 13 inch MacBook Pro, (only through Apple from what I've read in the Forums), some time after the new year. What would be the minimum specs recommended based on our use?

Besides continuing with TM backups, is there anything else I need to do to prepare for transferring data?

Is it going to be problematic transferring our data from such an old system to a new Mac? Also, is sharing data on Mac Mini with the Windows computers going to be problematic since our internet service is slow or since our Mac Mini is so old? Just the thought of these processes is daunting to me. Although we've had the Mac mini for years, I'm still a newbie in many respects. I've never needed to retrieve data from TM. I've never migrated data from one machine to another or set up network sharing. When I wanted to copy pics from Mac to Windows, I'd just use a memory stick. But now I'm realizing that I not only need to transfer our libraries to a new computer but also, eventually, copy our photo library from Mac to our kids' laptops so they will have all the pics.

Thanks so much for any and all responses!

M

MacInWin

How you solve the puzzle is really up to you. However, here's one opinion. Your use for the Mac seems to be minimal at this point. If you are happy with how the Windows machines are handling your internet and music then maybe you don't even need a new Mac. The only use I didn't see you address very much was "making videos." Is that still on the Mac mini? Is the desktop PC with Win7 adequate for making those videos?

As for preparing for a new Mac, the biggest challenge I can see for you is that the jump from SL to El Capitan is pretty big. You need to check on every application you have whether or not you'll need a upgrade/update to get to a version for ElCap and if any of the applications won't run in ElCap you may need to look for a replacement. Other than that, when you get the new machine and first power it up, it should offer to migrate your files from a backup or other source. Take that action then, don't delay, because what it will then do is look for the TM backup and restore from that into an account with the exact same name and login password so that your new machine will look exactly like the old. If you don't do that migration then, it gets harder (but fully do-able) to get the files later.

As for the photos, what you might consider is a network storage that everyone can access from your WiFi (if the kids are at home) or even from the Internet (if they have moved out). Something like a WD MyCloud should work. Link to WD

That internet speed is going to be the bottleneck for you if the kids are out of the house. You might talk to your provider to see if there are faster options for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
What would be the minimum specs recommended based on our use?
The basic non-retina MBP would be more than sufficient for your use.

Is it going to be problematic transferring our data from such an old system to a new Mac?
No. You'll be promoted to transfer data during the setup of your new MBP. You just connect the two Macs with an Ethernet cable and use Migration Assistant.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204350

Also, is sharing data on Mac Mini with the Windows computers going to be problematic since our internet service is slow or since our Mac Mini is so old?
If all the computers are at home, it shouldn't be. Just setup Sharing on each one and files will be shared using your router, so they don't go over the internet.

OP
E

ELK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 GB Mac Mini, 10.6.8
If you are happy with how the Windows machines are handling your internet and music then maybe you don't even need a new Mac. The only use I didn't see you address very much was "making videos." Is that still on the Mac mini? Is the desktop PC with Win7 adequate for making those videos?

Thank you, Jake, for your helpful reply. You've hit the heart of the matter. The Windows works adequately with the limited video-making we've done on it so far. But I've always preferred Mac even for routine things like scanning/managing documents. So I'm coming to terms with the realization that we don't "need" a Mac, but I "want" a Mac. And finances are limited. So I was hoping things would work out for a refurbished machine. Also, you confirmed what I had been feeling based on things I've read that the gap between operating systems is large but not insurmountable at this point. So I'm feeling like I need to act now before the gap does become insurmountable if we're ever going to be able to continue with Mac.

As for preparing for a new Mac, the biggest challenge I can see for you is that the jump from SL to El Capitan is pretty big. You need to check on every application you have whether or not you'll need a upgrade/update to get to a version for ElCap and if any of the applications won't run in ElCap you may need to look for a replacement.

When I check for updates, I'm told software is up to date. But I guess I need to research all apps to see if our version 7.1.5 iPhoto, for instance, is compatible with El Capitan. Is that correct?

Other than that, when you get the new machine and first power it up, it should offer to migrate your files from a backup or other source. Take that action then, don't delay, because what it will then do is look for the TM backup and restore from that into an account with the exact same name and login password so that your new machine will look exactly like the old. If you don't do that migration then, it gets harder (but fully do-able) to get the files later.

No. You'll be promoted to transfer data during the setup of your new MBP. You just connect the two Macs with an Ethernet cable and use Migration Assistant.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204350

Thank you both so much for this reply, and I appreciate the link. I was so ignorant of this that I had not realized until your replies that the new computer would be set up exactly as the old as far as accounts!!! Since our needs have changed, I'm thinking that we would want to set up a new Mac differently with regard to accounts than our current Mac Mini. So will I set up the new Mac with the desired accounts and then transfer data manually instead of through Migration Assistant?

As for the photos, what you might consider is a network storage that everyone can access from your WiFi (if the kids are at home) or even from the Internet (if they have moved out). Something like a WD MyCloud should work. Link to WD

Thanks for this link! I had wondered if a NAS would be a good thing for our home, but I read some information that led me to think it may be difficult to access photos on Mac that are stored on a NAS. However, this device may be the answer to that. If it's ok to ask, have you used this particular device?

That internet speed is going to be the bottleneck for you if the kids are out of the house. You might talk to your provider to see if there are faster options for you.
If all the computers are at home, it shouldn't be. Just setup Sharing on each one and files will be shared using your rouanything ter, so they don't go over the internet.
thanks. At this point, kids would only access when they're home on breaks. If we ever needed to share while they're away, would 25 Mbsp be sufficient to handle sharing?

The basic non-retina MBP would be more than sufficient for your use.
Thanks so much for your help, MightyGem. Our current MacMini capacity is extremely limited; our largest iPhoto library is on EHD. Could you qualify "basic" a little more if we want to store thousands of photos and some family videos on the computer itself. It's not a movie collection, just home-made videos.

Thanks so much to you both! Please forgive my delayed reply. I wanted to put some thought into your responses, and I wanted to use this quote system, and so I had to study that out! Then I'd start a reply and get "timed out!" So thanks so much!:)

OP
E

ELK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 GB Mac Mini, 10.6.8
Thanks so much, Jake! I've responded more fully in separate reply!

OP
E

ELK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 GB Mac Mini, 10.6.8
Thanks so much MightyGem! I've replied more fully in separate response!

C

chas_m

Bear in mind that only iPhoto version 9.6.1 (ONLY) will still work in El Capitan. I'm not sure, at this point, that there is any way for you to obtain that version, which was only available to Mavericks/Yosemite owners. The good news is that Photos, while not visually that similar to iPhoto, essentially works the same way (only better in a number of areas) and, after a period of getting used to it, will handle your old iPhoto library just fine (not sure about any projects you've made, so be prepared to lose those -- but only because your version of iPhoto is so out-of-date, my projects came over fine and yours might possibly too).

OP
E

ELK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 GB Mac Mini, 10.6.8
Bear in mind that only iPhoto version 9.6.1 (ONLY) will still work in El Capitan. I'm not sure, at this point, that there is any way for you to obtain that version, which was only available to Mavericks/Yosemite owners. The good news is that Photos, while not visually that similar to iPhoto, essentially works the same way (only better in a number of areas) and, after a period of getting used to it, will handle your old iPhoto library just fine (not sure about any projects you've made, so be prepared to lose those -- but only because your version of iPhoto is so out-of-date, my projects came over fine and yours might possibly too).

Thanks so much for these details! By your first statement, I thought maybe Photos would not handle my iPhoto library unless there would be a way for me to obtain iPhoto 9.6.1. But then your statement of the good news that Photos can handle the iPhoto library fine, made me wonder if my first thought was wrong. Sorry, I got confused. Could you clarify please? Thank you!

M

MacInWin

Ah, the old "needing" vs "wanting" issue! Been there myself. I can't help you as I have on occasion succeeded at resisting the pull of the "want" to understand the "need." However, most of the time "want" wins out over "need."

For the software, chas_m has brought up an excellent point. If you just check for software updates under the current OS, you'll only get a response for that version of the OS. But what you want/need to know is if what you have will run under ElCap. Apple has moved on from iPhoto to Photos, for example, but still has updates from Yosemite versions of iPhotos to the one that works on ElCap. But not from your older version, sadly. And as chas_m said, getting from v7 to v9.6.1 is going to be tricky, if it's doable at all. (I suspect it won't be doable.) That then means a transition from iPhoto to Photos, which should go ok, but again, your version of iPhoto is pretty old, so I'd make sure I had good backups before even trying.

And you still need to check any non-Apple applications you may have to see if you can upgrade them to ElCap versions.

I have a WD MyCloud 4TB drive in my network. It is accessible (with passwords) from both inside my network and from outside. Seems to work well for that. I've not tried "sharing" anything from it to other folks, but it works well for my iPhone and iPad and MBP to get to files on it when I am away from home.

25Mbps should be OK for pictures. Bear in mind that a typical photo image file (at least for me) is about 3Mb, which is about 25megabits. So at 25mpbs, you'll be able to transfer one picture file every second at the max, which seems fast but if you are talking 1000s of pictures, it can take a bit of time, assuming you are the ONLY user of the connection. Let's say that as a typical case it takes 2 seconds to transfer a picture. In that case 1,000 pictures will take 2,000 seconds or just over 33 minutes to complete. Of course, if ALL the kids try to get to the pictures at the same time, they'll have to share that bandwidth, which will extend the time. It's all up to you.

OP
E

ELK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 GB Mac Mini, 10.6.8
Thanks again, Jake for all these details re apps and transfer rates, etc. Good food for thought.

I do have TM backups and a clone, but I probably should make another backup before taking the leap since things seem so "if-fie". I am fighting against this sinking feeling that my photos may be irretrievable. I suppose if my iPhoto library with Events intact doesn't transfer, then I should still be able to drag groups of pics into the new system. Correct?

Thank you also for sharing your successful use and the specs of your WD MyCloud. I appreciate that!

C

chas_m

Your iPhoto library will transfer intact, all events, albums, keywords and such should be fine. Obviously, one would want to make a backup of the intact iPhoto library first, just in case something went wrong, but for most people it doesn't.

OP
E

ELK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 GB Mac Mini, 10.6.8
Your iPhoto library will transfer intact, all events, albums, keywords and such should be fine. Obviously, one would want to make a backup of the intact iPhoto library first, just in case something went wrong, but for most people it doesn't.

Thanks so much for that clarification, (and encouragement that it usually goes fine)! Much appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.