• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Videos from Android to Mac.

Reaction score
I am running a 27" Mac on El Capitan. !Tb HDD 16Gb memory. iMovie 9.0.9. My mate has some videos he took on his Android tablet which he would like editing and stitching together with some music. Try as we may we cannot figure out how to get these videos from his tablet onto my Mac so I can edit them for him. There does not seem to be any output socket on his tablet which I could use to transfer them. Could anyone help please.
Gari

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One way would be for him to email the videos to you as an attachment. However, depending on his and your ISP the videos may be too large to send as an attachment, so you would need to check that first.

C

chas_m

There's the cloud waystations like Dropbox (and a million other such services), there would be AirDrop if he had an iOS device but oh well. I use a service called Copy.com because it gives me a lot of space for free (20GB) and doesn't nag me to try and do everything with it like Dropbox does. There's also OneDrive from Microsoft and at least two dozen other such services, and that seems like the best solution for this particular project and other such cross-platform file transferring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
There does not seem to be any output socket on his tablet
Does it not have some sort of micro USB socket?

OP
G
Reaction score
Does it not have some sort of micro USB socket?
Yes it does MightyGem, but I think that is just for charging. At least when we tried to connect via that socket nothing came up on my desktop screen. BTW, thanks for the link to the Missing Manual site.
Gari

OP
G
Reaction score
Chas_m, I have joined Copy.com but I am no wiser. I am, it is true a bit thick when it comes to technology. I don't see how I can access someone else's stuff from my computer.
Gari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I used my Google drive to move the videos to it then open them on my Mac. You can set up google drive (15GB is free) on the android and then on google drive share the video to your email so you can download it. Or you can use one email account on both devices then it will act as an available storage drive that you can move stuff to and from. Dropbox (1GB free) will do the same. I am not familiar with Copy.com but it looks like it works the same way.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I have joined Copy.com but I am no wiser. I am, it is true a bit thick when it comes to technology. I don't see how I can access someone else's stuff from my computer.
That "someone else" will also have to set up a Copy.com account, upload his files to his account and then send you a link to access/download those files.

Reaction score
I like the cloud idea the best but just to expand the possibilities by chance does the android have a bluetooth device?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you tried Android File Transfer? Install it on your Mac then connect the Android device. I used it to recover some photos and videos from a friend's Android phone a few months ago, It should be able to handle this although IIRC you have to move less than 4 GB at a time

C

chas_m

The way copy.com and all such cloud resources work is that one person (the one with the assets they want to share, presumably) uploads the files into a folder on that cloud service, then obtains the "public URL" of that folder (the rest of your storage is unaccessible to anyone else). Send the public URL to the person who wants to receive the files, and literally all they have to do is click (they don't have to sign up or anything) and the files begin downloading.

Same for dropbox et al.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Install it on your Mac then connect the Android device.
It's the connecting to a Mac which is the problem, Slydude.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It's the connecting to a Mac which is the problem, Slydude.

The Android File Transfer program runs on the Mac. Once it is installed the Mac should "see" the Android device pretty easily. IIRC the phone shows inside the software not on the Finder desktop. I haven't tried it with a tablet but it worked when I helped someone salvage files from their phone.

@garigouin Let us know which method you use and how well it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.