Boot Camp and Windows 7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Looking to install Quicken (Windows) on my new Mac Book Pro that has El Capitan.

Windows7 and Quicken would be the ONLY programs I would use in this Boot Camp partition.

While doing a google search for documentation to assist me I only find information on Windows 8 which I don't have and do not want to purchase.

So the $64 question is can I load my Windows 7 into the Boot Camp partition on my Mac Book Pro that has El Capitan as the operating system?

I'm assuming I can, but wanted to check here first.

Windows7 and Quicken are both original purchases on my part.

Just love this new Mac Book Pro!!

M

MacInWin

If Quicken is the ONLY program you need in Windows, why not consider virtualizing the Windows and run it in an OS X window? That way you don't have to reboot to get to Quicken. In the paid category, VMWare or Parallels will do the trick, but there are other options.

As for "your" Win7, is it a fully licensed version of Windows? That is, did you buy the OS install disks, or are they OEM (came with some Windows machine you bought)? Only full licenses are installable in Boot Camp (or VMWare/Parallels, for that matter).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also, I'm not entirely sure that the newest Macs support Windows 7 under BooTCamp. When I set up my iMac recently (late 2015 iMac) I think I got a message that Windows 7 was no longer supported with the most recent BootCamp. That would be consistent with this post. Win 7 does function well in a virtual machine so that may be an option.

EDIT: This table lists Mac models through late 2014 and which version of Windows they support under BootCamp. It also contains a link to a similar table listing models which support Windows 8 and higher.

Last edited:
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
If Quicken is the ONLY program you need in Windows, why not consider virtualizing the Windows and run it in an OS X window? That way you don't have to reboot to get to Quicken. In the paid category, VMWare or Parallels will do the trick, but there are other options.

As for "your" Win7, is it a fully licensed version of Windows? That is, did you buy the OS install disks, or are they OEM (came with some Windows machine you bought)? Only full licenses are installable in Boot Camp (or VMWare/Parallels, for that matter).

So you are saying that I can "virtualize" the Quicken installation using VMWare/Parallels? So I don't have to utilize the Boot Camp feature to run Quicken??

Could you confirm that what I've written above is correct? If so, that's the answer.

I've got an older version of Parallels and would "upgrade" to the most current.

FWIW the WINDOWS 7 was purchased by me on disks several years ago.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your older version of Parallels may not be supported in El Capitan which may require you to upgrade. And knowing Parallels, their upgrade price is usually not all that great unless they're running a special. However, for what you need, VirtualBox from Oracle will work fine and it's free. I suggest using that to virtualize Windows 7 rather than Parallels.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Your older version of Parallels may not be supported in El Capitan which may require you to upgrade. And knowing Parallels, their upgrade price is usually not all that great unless they're running a special. However, for what you need, VirtualBox from Oracle will work fine and it's free. I suggest using that to virtualize Windows 7 rather than Parallels.

Downloaded the dmg file and the manual. Thinking that a little reading would be a good thing before I start trying it out - although the 327 pages is a little daunting.

Thanks.

M

MacInWin

So you are saying that I can "virtualize" the Quicken installation using VMWare/Parallels? So I don't have to utilize the Boot Camp feature to run Quicken??

Could you confirm that what I've written above is correct? If so, that's the answer.

I've got an older version of Parallels and would "upgrade" to the most current.

FWIW the WINDOWS 7 was purchased by me on disks several years ago.

Thanks
Yes, that is what I was saying, and chscag's suggestion of Virtualbox may be even easier. I've not used it because I have Parallels, but VB is reported to work very well for single Windows applications.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Yes, that is what I was saying, and chscag's suggestion of Virtualbox may be even easier. I've not used it because I have Parallels, but VB is reported to work very well for single Windows applications.
Great news. Have the application on the machine and downloaded the manual. Want to do a little reading before I take the step of loading and trying to use Quicken.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance.

Will post the results of my studying and attempts.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)

So just to make certain, I use VirtualBox to install Windows 7 and then Quicken? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Again Windows 7 will not install. Just use VB and Quicken.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So just to make certain, I use VirtualBox to install Windows 7 and then Quicken? :Confused:

Yes. Download VB, get it setup, and install Windows 7 in the virtual machine. Then all you need to do is run VB and Windows 7 will start automatically. After Windows 7 starts up, install Quicken.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Will Windows 7 actually install on a newer machine?

C

chas_m

Virtualization software can support versions of Windows that are no longer supported by Boot Camp, going back to even WinXP and beyond.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will Windows 7 actually install on a newer machine?

Yes. Remember that it will be running under virtualization. As chas stated, VB can even run older versions of Windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Yes. Download VB, get it setup, and install Windows 7 in the virtual machine. Then all you need to do is run VB and Windows 7 will start automatically. After Windows 7 starts up, install Quicken.

OK, I have Windows 7 up and running and Quicken installed and running.

However, when I hook up the external SeaGate drive that has my Quicken backup files it doesn't "see" it and obviously I'm unable to access the master Quicken backup file. (Also true of the flash drive backup) Both in the USB port.

However, my Apple CD CD/DVD player is "seen" and functions ok as this is how I installed Quicken.

What am I missing?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's been like a long time since I used VB but I do remember with USB devices you have to tell VB to own the device in the virtual machine or it will simply let it belong to OS X. Sorry, but I don't remember where and how to change that option. Read thru that mess of a help file supplied by Oracle is all I can suggest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.