Uninstalling apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New M1 Macbook Pro 16"
Can someone please tell me how to uninstall an application?

M

MacInWin

Depends on how you installed it. If it was simply inserted into the Applications folder, just move it to the trash and empty the trash. If it came with an installer that included an Uninstaller, you run the uninstaller. If it's an "invasive" application like antivirus or Mackeeper, you'll need to do more.

So, what's the application you want to uninstall?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here are some possible solutions/answers:

1. See if the app has a built in uninstaller…or comes with an uninstaller app.
2. Visit the developer's website of the app…and see if they have instructions or an uninstaller app that can be downloaded.
3. Do an internet search about how to uninstall the app in question. maybe someone else has posted a DIY on how to do it.

HTH,

- Nick

Edit: Jake beat me "to the punch" on a couple of the ideas.;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New M1 Macbook Pro 16"
Thanks Jake.
It was "MacKeeper" However, I think I have now done it.
I was advised to ditch it by an Apple 'Genius' who said it was dangerous malware.

John

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi John

I was advised to ditch it by an Apple 'Genius' who said it was dangerous malware.

Genius was right. It is.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New M1 Macbook Pro 16"
Thanks Ian.
How can I be sure I have deleted everything to do with "MacKeeper"?

John

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Jake.

Hi John - MacKeeper is kind of an exception in making sure that all of its detritus is removed from your computer. As a general comment, still another choice are apps made to not only remove the main app (i.e. the icon in the Applications folder) but also any other files (usually small ones w/ preferences, etc.) - I use AppCleaner (linked to a Macworld review, if interested) shown below; as an example, I opened the program and dragged the Chrome browser in the App folder - as shown the app along w/ a number of other small files are identified w/ nearly all checked for removal - of course, these can be unchecked or the ones w/o a check can also be chosen (not quite sure why that one is unchecked? Looks OK to you for deletion). So, just another 'uninstall' option - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 10.22.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-06 at 10.24.28 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.