Parallels' Windows Virtualization

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
Looks like this has been a crazy week for Intel-Mac owners! Not only do we have the ability to Dual-Boot our machines, but we now also have the option to run WinXP within OS X.

Parallels released a beta today: http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

It looks very promising! Thoughts anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Yeah, I hope Apple releases virtualization with their next OS release. I read that Parallel's software is free for now, but will probably only cost $50 when it's fully released. I can swallow $50 :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
I agree, that would be ideal. $50 is an acceptable cost to be able to run both simultaneously, IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
So long as you don't care about games, virtualization beats the crap out of dual-booting.

BootCamp 2.0, perhaps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Anyone try this yet? Does it work? any problems?

I am going to test it out I think.

Anyone know what drive to put down (letter? is that possible?) the dvd/cd drive is on an iMac? It asks for one to install from but i cant find what they want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
why do you want to run windows?!?!?!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
coach_z said:

Because it's coolio? :spook: Joking

Reaction score
I am an utter Mac lover...i hate MS, but i dont understand why some of us are being soo anti XP on Macs. the truth is if we could have both OS's on a Mac then my office would have bought 20 Imacs instead of one.

Sometimes you need to use MS based app's in the workplace there is no escaping that, by doing this i think that Apple has strengthened the case for OSX and Leopard. i think dual booting is just the tip of Apple stalk....i've got a feeling that leopard will allow full on Virtualisation of XP on an Apple but with no system lag by utilising the drivers currently just released.

I think by giving people the choice Apple has a trump card that no other PC maker has, Dell should be reading this news and sweating...talk about closing dowen and paying money back to shareholders.....your 33% of global share will start shrinking soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
coach_z said:

Half of everyone asks this question to other mac users and they always reply with the about the same answer. It has been asked in like every forum dealing with this topic. People all have different uses, think about space, work, programs, or anything else.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
Personally, I think one of the largest benefits I'll see in this is that if I'm developing an application, whether it be a web application or stand-alone software I don't have to worry about transferring things between computers just to test it out. I'll have the IMMEDIATE ability to do both, right there on the spot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
coach_z said:

I switched from a HP L2000 to a PowerBook G4 and where I work there are two programs that I have to be able to access on our server that are Windoze based, so my choice was stick with the HP, or go with the PB and use Virtual PC. I went with the PB & Virtual PC.

L

lil

I use rdesktop for my Windows needs at work.

I am rather hoping that I can prod my employer in a few months time that the company's operations manager should really have a work's intel iBook instead of her own PowerBook :flower:

Either way, the PowerBook I have still rocks!! :flower:

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Well I used this program and installed Windows XP SP1 successfully. No problems (except detecting internet connection), and it ran great. Defintally faster than it being on my older Gateway PC. However, I might just get rid of this program and wait to get dual booting up. Without internet, any computer (most of the time) are boring.

I took pics of it...enjoy!

xpintelbbpic16hg.jpg

xpintelbbpic23kc.jpg

xpintelbbpic30gp.jpg

xpintelbbpic41ll.jpg

xpintelbbpic50wg.jpg

xpintelbbpic63dh.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I sort of expect that this is the route that MS will take with the next version of VPC for the Intel Mac....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
cool, When is the next version of VPC going to be released. Do you think apple will make 10.5 be able to dual boot on the PPC apples?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
coach_z said:
OMG Just think of all the viruses and spyware I've been missing since making the switch, I cannot wait to infect my Mac with all those goodies. Hopefully I can get a good boot sector virus or maybe even a BIOS virus like CIH. Oh I just can't wait! :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
mr g5 said:
cool, When is the next version of VPC going to be released. Do you think apple will make 10.5 be able to dual boot on the PPC apples?
Windows can't run on PowerPC processors unless it's being run on an emulation of an x86 processor. There will never be dual-booting Windows and OS X on the PowerPC Macs because it's impossible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
That is pretty neat. Something else that we Mac owners have over the PC user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
dimagex20 said:
That is pretty neat. Something else that we Mac owners have over the PC user.

Correction: Intel Mac owners.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Right you are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.