Photoshop image help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
OK guys, I'm looking for some help or advice on how to proceed converting a .psd to a .jpg

I have a company logo that is in .psd format and it looks great. If I try to save it to a .jpg it adds a white background to the logo. Not sure why this is happening, and could use some assistance. I have zero experience with Photoshop, so talk to me like i'm 5!

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
OK guys, I'm looking for some help or advice on how to proceed converting a .psd to a .jpg

I have a company logo that is in .psd format and it looks great. If I try to save it to a .jpg it adds a white background to the logo. Not sure why this is happening, and could use some assistance. I have zero experience with Photoshop (PS), so talk to me like i'm 5!

Hi John - now, I've not used Photoshop in about 5 years (pre-retirement on a Windows PC) - are you doing the JPEG conversion from w/i the Adobe program or in some other manner? As I recall, the 'layers' in the PS have to be eliminated during these conversions and cannot be recovered.

But, one suggestion is to open the company logo and then do a screen capture using CMD-SHIFT-4 - this is saved as a .PNG file (and of course is compressed) - the file can be opened in Preview and the image size & resolution reviewed; in Preview, if you open the 'File' menu and press the Option key, a 'Save As' choice appears which will allow you to change image formats (not sure that upscaling to a different less compressed or lostless format will improve the quality - you'd have to test yourself). Dave :)

Reaction score
If the logo has transparent parts, saving to jpeg is a nogo. Otherwise you're stuck with the background.
Save it as .png or .gif depending on the use. You can do that from within Photoshop.
Jpeg does not support transparency.

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Thanks for the tips guys, I will try as suggested when I get home. I downloaded the trial of PS '15, so that is what I am "trying" to work with. I am an absolute dummy with these image things!!

C

chas_m

If you find that you need to do this sort of thing periodically and don't wish to get Photoshop (which is WAAAY overkill), I might suggest Pixelmator, which is normally $30 and can do that sort of conversion (PSD to PNG or GIF, which is what you want to preserve the transparency) easily. You can get it from the Mac App Store.

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Got it to work guys, thanks again! chas_m, thanks for the tip on the app. There is no way I need to spend the $$$ on Photoshop for rare occasions I need something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got it to work guys, thanks again! chas_m, thanks for the tip on the app. There is no way I need to spend the $$$ on Photoshop for rare occasions I need something like that.

Hi again John - just for others who may look at your thread - what did you do exactly? Just may help - also, I have Pixelmator which is an inexpensive full feature image editor and a great alternative to Photoshop, especially for occasional use. Dave :)

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Hi again John - just for others who may look at your thread - what did you do exactly? Just may help - also, I have Pixelmator which is an inexpensive full feature image editor and a great alternative to Photoshop, especially for occasional use. Dave :)

Using the trial of Photoshop 2015 I opened the .psd file, did a save as TIFF, checked save transparency, and set layer compression to ZIP. It got me the result I wanted!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using the trial of Photoshop 2015 I opened the .psd file, did a save as TIFF, checked save transparency, and set layer compression to ZIP. It got me the result I wanted!

GREAT! Thanks John for your prompt response - if you have a moment, I'd be curious if the 'screen capture' that I suggested would give you an image of acceptable quality? Dave :)

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
It did not work. I was dragging this logo into a Publisher file and when I imported the file after the process that you suggested I still had the background.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It did not work. I was dragging this logo into a Publisher file and when I imported the file after the process that you suggested I still had the background.

Thanks for trying - I use that screen-capture combo all of the time and seems to work fine for me - I was just curious about the *.png resolution - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.