Clean install on new iMac?

Reaction score
So, over in Windows World, I have a habit that I always wipe a new computer and do a clean install of the OS, both to eliminate bloatware and to guarantee that I can do the install if needed.

Is there any reason to do this, or not do it, on a new iMac? I've read how I can create an image on a USB stick. Just not sure if, after going through the trouble, I'll just end up back where I started.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So, over in Windows World…

Thankfully…we are not in a Windows world!;)

Is there any reason to do this, or not do it, on a new iMac?

No reason to do it on a new iMac.

Just not sure if, after going through the trouble, I'll just end up back where I started.

You have not mentioned any problems. If the iMac is trouble free at the moment…then doing a reinstall of the OS will just return you to a trouble free environment (which I would suspect is a place you want to be).:) So yes…doing a fresh install of the OS would be unnecessary if there are no problems.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Microsoft is a software company...Apple is more about hardware. Mac OS will only legally run on Apple hardware. Microsoft will put Windows OS onto any computer manufacturer that will let them. It is Dell, Lenovo, HP and such that adds in the bloatware. Years ago when I was a Windows user, every new computer I bought, I always purchased a new hard drive and a copy of the latest OS. Then I removed the OEM hdd and installed my replacement hdd and then installed Windows. Yes it was expensive, but I detested bloatware as well.

Please, please Mac Masters, correct me if I am wrong.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You're right Dogbreath, each OEM gets a copy of Windows and is allowed to add on anything they want to make money or whatever they want. A lot of outfits pay the OEMs to bundle their software on there to get in front of people. Some of it is useful, a lot of it is bloatware that needs to be purged..

Apple doesn't bundle, that's not their business and as such you don't have to deal with that.

OS X is also designed differently than Windows and seldom accumulates crap over the years that you have to routinely purge. Back in my Windows days, I would do a clean install every 6 months to keep things going. My 2009 iMac has been upgraded through all the versions of OS X without any problems and operates just as well today as it did when I bought it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
...and I should have added that when the bloatware was gone, the Windoz box would operate much better...especially after every 6 months of nuke and pave.

C

chas_m

The first thing Gannet2 has to learn is that not all computers are alike. The Mac, she isn't Windows.

Hallelujah!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.