another possible scam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch early 2009 iMac, 2.66GHz, 8 GB, 10.8.5, 319 GB Hard Drive
I've been getting phone calls from microsoft technicians saying they have been getting messages from my computer about being hacked. Their accents are so strong I can barely understand them. I tell them it is strange microsoft techs are getting messages from my computer since I have a mac. Today the girl said they know I have a mac-- it is in the information my computer is sending and she wanted to send me to their technicians. So I went along and their technician said the messages were that I was being hacked. They did not want any money, they said, but they would show me on my own computer that I was being hacked. I told them, again, this was a scam to get info from me or for them to add malware, and I hung up. Again.

So...anyone else had this happen?

Skillet01

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
They may not mention money yet, that will come later when you're forced to to get control of your Mac back if you let them anywhere close to it.

DO NOT give them ANY info and just hang up.

Or, and if they keep calling, report them to your "Do Not Call" registry if you have one, or what I finally did to get rid of them. I put the cordless phone on the front bumper of our SUV that then gave the horn four long blasts and then some extras for prosperity and waited for a dial tone. That seems to have worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My money on the calls would be all from Manilla in the Phillipines alas. In Australia our National Carrier has their call centre there and these calls never stop. Four of five a day and here the "Do Not Call' register applies only to onshore operators. I do seem to have had some success lately telling them I am so pleased they rang as my old Windows XP computer died and as I can't even afford even a second hand computer, asking are they going to give me a new one from Mr Gates' Foundation!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.