Trouble closing a video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
This morning we were shopping online for a new artificial christmas tree. We enlarged a video and when we were finished I could not figure out how to close it. The three buttons, red yellow and green were not there so I hit the esc key and nothing happened, I could not get rid of the video. I finally pressed the power button on the back and restarted the computer. Is this the safest way to handle a situation like this? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Whatever program you were in should have had a Quit command. The red button does not quit a program merely shuts the window. Some programs life Safari etc do actually quit, many don't which makes it confusing. Not advisbale that powering down, but sometimes it just jas to be.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, we were on a website that had a video, we clicked on it and a smaller box appeared that showed the video, I clicked on the green button to enlarge it and it took up the whole screen. I had a feeling that hitting the power button wasn't the best thing to do but I didn't know what else to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
in Firefox you can use shift + command + w to close the window, or command + w to close the tab. There is always command + Q to quit the entire program

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks ankhseeker, I need to look up a command list and print it out to keep here by my Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.