Drawing programs for Mac OS X

Reaction score
I do not wish to draw by hand, but to create cross-stitch charts. The charts are mostly not of pictures, but of borders and letters.

Several years ago MS Word used to be an excellent tool. It is not as good anymore.

Finding things like "snap to grid" ? Does it even exist anymore? The grouping is poorer too. It used to have a regroup function. If I open a file from several years ago it says "compatibly mode".

There are programs for creating cross stitch patterns, but these seem to be for pictures, not letters and borders. The borders required an ability to group and duplicate.

If no one knows, I will have try one of them, if they offer a free trial.

To draw with MS Word was not simple, and still is not. It took me a while to become good at it. Do other programs use the same terminology, such as "grouping"?

Reaction score
The only program I can think of that may be able to do this sort of thing would be Photoshop, which is indeed Mac compatible.

OP
F
Reaction score
The only program I can think of that may be able to do this sort of thing would be Photoshop, which is indeed Mac compatible.

Yes, I've heard that Photoshop is good. It's likely overkill, doing far more than I need. So far, I'm struggling along with the downgraded Word.

With any luck, it will do the job. At least I am very familiar with how it works. It is slow and awkward and one bug has turned up but my requirements aren't that great. I think I almost have one chart ready. Just 3 more grandchildren to do charts for.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Yes, I've heard that Photoshop is good. It's likely overkill, doing far more than I need. So far, I'm struggling along with the downgraded Word.

With any luck, it will do the job. At least I am very familiar with how it works. It is slow and awkward and one bug has turned up but my requirements aren't that great. I think I almost have one chart ready. Just 3 more grandchildren to do charts for.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

With some further research I have found a few more programs dedicated to cross-stitching for Macs, however they are not free. Some are trial versions. And it seems that these programs may involve more than borders or letters.

I believe you may have already searched through available applications by using "cross-stitch charts" as your keywords of choice. If not, then browsing for such applications and perhaps trying them out may be the only way. If I find anything similar to what you are looking for I will make sure to post my findings.

I hope you find what you are looking for!

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I don't mind paying for a program if it works. I'll check those out.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
F
Reaction score
Yes, I'm starting to think one of those cross stitch programs is the answer.

Today, I tried printing the chart I've been working on. I used a print shop, that lets you print files on a per page basis. Their printer had previously printed an old Word 97 file I had from the first the cross stitch I did several years ago. The Word 97 one came out perfectly. The new Word doc didn't look like the screen, it was missing colours in some places. The squares came out blank. The new Word is a piece of junk for drawing, I've just to forget it.

No idea why Microsoft wrecked it, one person I talked to thought they rewrote from scratch for Windows 8. And dropped half the features or downgraded them. The failure to print is the last straw.

I don't mind paying for something. I paid for Word after all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.