• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video editing software for 10.6.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
New guy here with a question right out of the chute. But first, thanks to all who make this forum possible. I'm not DEEPLY versed in Mac, although it's all I've ever used since the Power PC6100 days. So now that I need something beyond the basics, I feel very fortunate to have found this resource.

I've an iMac 24 (circa 2008) and run 10.6.8 Snow Leopard for reasons of several older programs that I love using and that don't run on anything newer than Snow Leopard. Given that OS environment, I now need to be able to edit and create some relatively simple videos for You Tube. I can't find any video editing software on my system, so I guess I need to download something to help with this task. I'd prefer something Apple, simple, and easy to use. I'm not looking for the latest, greatest software. I need video editing, laying a voice track over the edited video (it would be nice if recording a voice track separately, and editing it, was also a feature of the software), and dropping in a title page and some captions along the way.

What can you suggest that will work with my OS, and where can I find it? Free sounds good, but if it means buying some additional Apple software, that's fine, too. I'm going to have to make several of these basic videos, so it'll be a good investment. And if there's a Dummies book out there for the software, that much the better. I can relate.

Thanks in advance.

C

chas_m

How is it that you don't have iMovie on this machine? It came with the machine, and it's on your original system discs that came with the computer.

Also, if you're going to continue to run 10.6.8, your days of being safe on the Internet are over, and the security risk is growing. If you want to keep running 10.6.8, I'd take that machine offline from the net as soon as possible. I'd suggest that you take that machine offline and keep it around as a 10.6.8 machine, but in the meantime get a new(er) one that you can safely use online with the current OS version.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I think I found the answer. I bought the machine used, but with a fresh 10.6.8 install. However, there was no iMovie, nor did I even notice the fact, given that I've never needed it. Everyone ket telling me that it should have iMovie. So I checked both of the original OS 10.6 disks. No dice. Then the 10.68 update disc. Not there either. So I dug deep into the documentation, extra mice, extra keyboard, wireless pad, etc that came with the machine. There I found a box called iLife, and it includes iMovie. I've loaded it, and now I have to go find a book on how to use it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Now that you have that installed be sure to run Software Update to make sure that iMovie is as up-to-date as that version can get.

There are numerous online articles and videos available for each of the earlier versions of iMovie. Try putting the version number of that edition of iMovie into a search engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.