backups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina 8GB
Hi all,

I have almost 57GB of backups in the hard drive of my Mac. I have my backups in an external drive so I was wondering how or why have I this 57GB in my hard drive. I already looked for "backups" in the Finder but the only ones it finds are the ones in my external drive...

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 20.19.27.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like you are using Time Machine. Is that the case as it stores backups on the hard drive.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When was the last time you did a Time Machine backup? TM keeps snapshots on your Mac until it does a backup.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
harryb2448, thank you for your reply. Yes, I'm using TM but I pointed all the backups to my external drive...or am I missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Is the external drive always attached? If you disconnect it from the external, TM will create snapshots on your main internal drive and as soon as you attach the external, move them to it. Once it does that the ones stored on your main internal drive will be deleted.

I use a Time Capsule and let my MB Air backup wirelessly. If I take the MB Air out of the house and use it I will see TM creating backup snapshots on the internal SSD but they disappear once I get it home and it "sees" the Time Capsule.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
vansmith, Iclev and Slydude, that was the "problem"...I wasn't aware that TM was keeping snapshots on my Mac and even that my external drive was connected, my Mac was working on battery.
Thank you all for your comments and expertise. Really appreciated!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to know things worked out for you. Glad we could help.

That "feature", where TM keeps snapshots when the external drive isn't connected, is something I think Apple should address a little better. Keeping the snapshots isn't a bad idea but many users don't realize this is happening. I'd like to see some kind of alert when this feature triggers.

It is possible to disable this feature but the method isn't exactly obvious to many users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Good to know things worked out for you. Glad we could help.

That "feature", where TM keeps snapshots when the external drive isn't connected, is something I think Apple should address a little better. Keeping the snapshots isn't a bad idea but many users don't realize this is happening. I'd like to see some kind of alert when this feature triggers.

It is possible to disable this feature but the method isn't exactly obvious to many users.

+1!!!

And quit hiding so much stuff, if and when it's even available Apple!! Gheese!! :Grimmace:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think Apple should address a little better.

Another example of "Nanny" Apple. Hide the user library, hide the local snapshots; what else are they going to protect us from? O:)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There is a terminal command to show all hidden files, I used it once and thought I would just leave it on but after half a day I had to turn it off, it was driving me nuts wading though things I had no need of and no understanding of. You have no idea (or perhapses some of you do) how many hidden files there are. Do I need them? Rarely, so long as I know how to show them when I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Err Rod… I dare say there's quite a difference between hiding ALL OS X's files and folders, (and a lot of "features"), and those in the hidden USERS folder containing all that dangerous stuff that actually was created by the user!!

PS chscag: Do I have your permission to use your "Nanny" Apple phrase??? Most fitting. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Err Rod… I dare say there's quite a difference between hiding ALL OS X's files and folders, (and a lot of "features"), and those in the hidden USERS folder containing all that dangerous stuff that actually was created by the user!!
Unless I am misunderstanding your post that's not entirely correct. An individual user's library, which has been hidden by default in the last several OS releases, contains user created files but also contains files not directly created by the user. If a user chooses to muck about with the "Application Support folder" for example, unusual thing can happen if the wrong files are deleted. While these problems generally only affect that user account, many folks don't understand that. Especially if they have never had more than one account on their Mac. End result: panicked inquiries about whether the OS needs to be reinstalled.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's just chalk it up as a misunderstanding Slydude. ;)

Patrick
=====

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please don't take what I said as disagreeing with you about hiding user files. I had to retype the path to my User Library several times the other day before I got in and was able to do what I needed/wanted so I'm generally with you there.

I merely wanted some of our new users to be aware that not everything in a user's folder is directly user created. Some of those files are created / installed when an app is added and can present problems if not handled properly.

C

chas_m

You can access your Library folder (the one in your Home folder, ie your User Library folder) by holding the option key down when accessing the "Go" menu.

As with the iPhoto Library, Apple had a pretty persuasive argument in hiding the Library folder; users messing with it, then calling Apple and wasting support resources over something they did that they shouldn't have done.

Advanced users who wish to have routine access to the Library folder will also know how to make it permanently visible. This can be done with a Terminal command, or through third-party "customization" utilities such as Deeper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.