new Photo not opening jpg

Reaction score
I just installed Photos 1.2, and am makign the transition from iPhoto. Photos won't let me open a .jpg because it says "File can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers."

This seems odd, it is just a .jpg photo on my desktop. How do I fix this? I don't want to have to have Photos to store pictures I take from my iPhone, and use iPhoto separately to look at imported .jpgs from elsewhere. It seems strange.

I'm running OS 10.11.1

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a GateKeeper warning you received, however, it should not have warned you about a JPG file. Are you sure the warning wasn't about some application that you downloaded?

OP
S
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. Absolutley, it is a jpg. I've attached a screenshot of the message and the file on the desktop, just to the left of it. I can open it in iPhoto just fine, but not Photos. Strange. I can just use iPhoto for the job I'm trying to do now, but am wondering what is going on and if it'll be an issue in the future.

That's a GateKeeper warning you received, however, it should not have warned you about a JPG file. Are you sure the warning wasn't about some application that you downloaded?

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 2.32.26 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Solace098 . . . you can configure GateKeeper's security preferences. I copied the following from the link Administrator chscag provided for you :

Gatekeeper options are found in Apple menu > System Preferences… > Security & Privacy > General tab under the header "Allow applications downloaded from:"

Have a look around there and I feel you will be able to make things work like you need them to.

Brent

C

chas_m

This is -- almost certainly -- a JPG image file with an embedded Windows virus or malware script inside it. It's a common way to deliver malware to the Windows platform, and that is why Gatekeeper is catching it.

Photos is not the only app on your computer that will open (safe) JPG files. You can drag the file onto Preview as well, for instance, or into a web browser window. However, that particular JPG file is probably infected with something and my advice would be to remove it and seek out a similar image from an image search engine such as images.google.com.

Reaction score
Not malware

This is -- almost certainly -- a JPG image file with an embedded Windows virus or malware script inside it. It's a common way to deliver malware to the Windows platform, and that is why Gatekeeper is catching it.

Photos is not the only app on your computer that will open (safe) JPG files. You can drag the file onto Preview as well, for instance, or into a web browser window. However, that particular JPG file is probably infected with something and my advice would be to remove it and seek out a similar image from an image search engine such as images.google.com.

It is absolutely not infected with a virus or malware.
This happens with all photos, images and jpg's on Mac OS.
You cannot open them with Photos, because it claims they are "downloaded from an unidentified developer", even when the user scans their own images, or tries to view photos from their own camera.
Yes, they can be viewed in Preview, but Photos is a much better program for formatting pictures. However, the new Photos/OS combo has rendered the app useless, as it will not allow any photo to be opened, no matter what its source.

Reaction score
I have the same problem; security preferences does not provide a solution.

I just installed Photos 1.2, and am makign the transition from iPhoto. Photos won't let me open a .jpg because it says "File can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers."

This seems odd, it is just a .jpg photo on my desktop. How do I fix this? I don't want to have to have Photos to store pictures I take from my iPhone, and use iPhoto separately to look at imported .jpgs from elsewhere. It seems strange.

I'm running OS 10.11.1

Thanks.

This is interesting. I have the same problem: I cannot open my own photos in Photos, because the OS thinks it was "downloaded from an unidentified developer."

This is, of course, bull****. I scanned the image myself, from my own scanner to the desktop. Photos will not allow me to view my own photos.

When I go to security preferences, it gives me 2 options: Allow apps downloaded from: 1)App Store 2)App Store and identified developers.

There are a lot of problems with these options. For one, my own image is not an app at all, its a jpg. For two, it wasn't downloaded from anywhere except my own desktop.

Another problem: Apple Support insists that there is a 3rd option: Allow apps from: 1)App Store 2)App Store and identified developers 3) Anywhere

3) ANYWHERE

The problem is that there is no third option on the new OS. Therefore, changing Security Preferences does not offer a way around this debacle.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? What a mess! Common software becomes more terrible with each new version. Every OS is worse than the last, and every new version of every common program is worse than the one before it. What's the deal?

Can we open photos with Photos yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
This happens with all photos, images and jpg's on Mac OS.
You cannot open them with Photos, because it claims they are "downloaded from an unidentified developer", even when the user scans their own images, or tries to view photos from their own camera.
Yes, they can be viewed in Preview, but Photos is a much better program for formatting pictures. However, the new Photos/OS combo has rendered the app useless, as it will not allow any photo to be opened, no matter what its source.
I've never seen that. Photos opens all my jpg files flawlessly, regardless of source (4400 so far). You need to give more information about your setup so we can try to figure out what is going on with your system.

I suggest that if Gatekeeper kicked in, it was because something in the jpg file looks like an app and is trying to execute something on the Mac. When you tell us your setup, you'll be giving information about your scanner and scan software, which may provide a clue. It might be that your scanner, or the software driving it, adds some executable to the image file for some reason, and that is what Gatekeeper is stopping (for your safety).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and if you are willing to take the risk, here is an article on how to bypass Gatekeeper altogether. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Gatekeeper is there to protect you, and if it kicked in, it had a reason to do so. Disable it and whatever malware might be in that jpg will have free rein.

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/gatekeeper-macos-sierra/

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Do you have a Photos Library or are you trying to open images already added to the iPhoto library?
When the Photos app was introduced I had to point it at my iPhoto library which then created a Photos Library.
As for the security preferences for GateKeeoer It should not prevent you from opening an JPEG. It detects applications and even in the case of apps you can still open them from the Applications Folder via Control Click.
I just tried opening an image I downloaded from an image library. Preview was top of the list to open the file, no option to use photos until I went to "Other" then it worked fine. You can't make Photos the default app to open imported/downloaded images because it would need to import them into the library first. Quick Look is much faster anyway.
So try opening Photos, select Import from the menu bar and if this does not work then there is definitely something screwy about the images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Solace098 - A bit off topic but just wanted to say that I love your desktop image of Kinkaku-ji Pavillion. I was there last year as it was on my bucket list of places to see - absolutely breathtaking. I actually had a similar image as my desktop until a couple of months ago but now it's the Hurtigruten ship Polarlys, whetting my appetite for my next bucket list tick - seeing the Northern Lights from a Norway cruise next winter.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And @Solace098

I know this has nothing to do with your question - ignore at your leisure;) - but you have way too many Folders on your Desktop.

Desktops are working areas. Data should be saved elsewhere. Apart from the clutter and the, tiny, risk of losing these Folders (it happened to me), it slows down the boot time quite significantly.

Your Dock is interesting too.....

Your call, of course.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Solace098 open this thread back in 2015, it was brought back to life as a zombie by Wilfred575. Just thought you two should know. Solace098 may still be around, but his post count is just 3.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Oops. Thanks Jake. I just followed Sawday, totally failed to note dates.:Oops:

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.