• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Old iMovie Files - Stills stored in "Still Images" Quicktime file, not updating

Reaction score
So I came into a new company that was using imovie for their video work (not a substantial chunk of their work at the time), and recently we've had to update their video projects to work with the latest versions of imovie. We copied the libraries and all associated events using the commands in iMovie onto an external harddrive. In most cases iMovie see's them fine, but in some it shows 'missing media' for some still images.

Well after some trouble shooting I've found that the still images were actually rolled into a "Still Images" quicktime file in the previous versions of iMovie. So for instance, if I go onto the disk, to the imovie library and choose show package contents, in the folder of the project there is a "Still Images" file that is a quicktime video of all the still images in the original project. But the current version of quicktime won't play these files. I downloaded quicktime 7 vr and it plays them just fine.

So, for whatever reason imovie used to roll stills into a quicktime container and reference them there, and now we can't get the new version of iMovie to observe these references. I desperately need help!

I've found little to no info on any of this out there, which is shocking to me.

Any information is MUCH appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.