• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Original box?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro [March 2009] Quad Core 2.66 GHz running Snow Leopard 10.6.8
I bought a used Mac Pro 2012 with a supposedly 'original' box.

In my experience the details on a Mac box should agree exactly with those on the machine.

In this instance the machine gives an EMC 2629 number and a Model No. of A1289. Neither of these are given on the box. The computer serial number is DGKJJ025F4MG. This is the only data that checks out on both the computer and the box it came in.

Aside from the serial number the only other info on the box is a 'part number' ZOP1002X3. I can find no record of this in the usual places.

The seller claims he bought the machine from a well established authorized Apple dealer in the high street [true - I checked] but that the shop somehow 'got the boxes mixed up'.

The machine is legitimate - but surely this is not the original box?

I asked the high street store where it was purchased about 'part number ZOP1002X3'. I thought it might be some sort of in-house company code. They didn't recognize it ['not one of ours'].

Thanks

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Mac Pro's from 2006 thru 2012 will all fit in the same exact box. The simple answer probably is it is not the "original box"..but simply "A" Mac Pro box.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I'm sure you're right. Any ideas what this 'part number ZOP1002X3' from the side of the box refers to? That's no Mac Pro number I'd recognize. Could it be a labelling convention from an obscure part of the world perhaps [eastern Europe, asia, that sort of thing]?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro's from 2006 thru 2012 will all fit in the same exact box. The simple answer probably is it is not the "original box"..but simply "A" Mac Pro box.

- Nick

I'm sure you're right. Any ideas what this 'part number ZOP1002X3' from the side of the box refers to? That's no Mac Pro number I'd recognize. Could it be a labelling convention from an obscure part of the world perhaps [eastern Europe, asia, that sort of thing]?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Usually there's a label on the box with all of the computers info that originally came in the box (should include the specs & serial number of the computer). Can you post a photo of this label. Maybe this will help explain things.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Usually there's a label on the box with all of the computers info that originally came in the box (should include the specs & serial number of the computer). Can you post a photo of this label. Maybe this will help explain things.

- Nick

Sorry Nick I can't. I haven't the technology. All I can provide is what I've given you all ready. A Mac Pro should have the model number [A1289 in this case] on both the machine and the box. This doesn't. I read that model number is sometimes called 'part number' - but if the 'model number' is A1289 and the 'part number' [equivalent?] is ZOP1002X3 what am I supposed to think? The serial number is the same on box and machine but then I can't remember if the serial number is rather more general than specific, in which it's no real guide at all. The machine is definitely kosher. It's the box that doesn't sit right. The store that sold it buy base machines from Apple then spec then spec up apparently but that wouldn't change Apple's labelling conventions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The serial number is the same on box and machine but then I can't remember if the serial number is rather more general than specific, in which it's no real guide at all. The machine is definitely kosher. It's the box that doesn't sit right. The store that sold it buy base machines from Apple then spec then spec up apparently but that wouldn't change Apple's labelling conventions.

Serial numbers are unique. If the label on the box is an original Apple label (not something slapped on by a reseller)…and if the computers serial # and the serial # on the box are the same…then it's the original box. But if the label is not the original Apple label…then anything is possible (that number could be some sort of control # or inventory # used by a reseller).

I think that the most important part is that the computer has the specs you paid for.:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Serial numbers are unique. If the label on the box is an original Apple label (not something slapped on by a reseller)…and if the computers serial # and the serial # on the box are the same…then it's the original box. But if the label is not the original Apple label…then anything is possible (that number could be some sort of control # or inventory # used by a reseller).

I think that the most important part is that the computer has the specs you paid for.:)

- Nick

I've no way of knowing if the label is genuine. I'd doubt it if 'part number ZOP1002X3' cannot be satisfactorily explained. The specs are important but so is not accepting being sold something that isn't what it seems. So the serial numbers match but - again - where does that leave the model/part number ZOP1002X3 ? The store disowned that as some in-house convention of theirs. 'Not one of ours' is what they said. It resembles no part or model number I know of. What does it mean?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it was purchased from Apple or a Reseller no way should the boxes have become 'mixed up'.

Computers purchased direct from Apple as refurbished come in a plain white box with addressing details only.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it was purchased from Apple or a Reseller no way should the boxes have become 'mixed up'.

Computers purchased direct from Apple as refurbished come in a plain white box with addressing details only.

Thanks Harry.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's very possible this mystery may never be solved. This is the nature of purchasing used computers. You may never know what the exact history of the computer (or the box) is. This is why I mentioned above that as long as the computer's specs match what was advertised & paid for…and the computer performs properly…these are the most important things.

And when previous owners pass along info…that info could be:

- 100% truthful info
- info the previous owner thinks is correct (but could be incorrect or partially incorrect)
- or it could be 100% incorrect info

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.