running older OS

Reaction score
can someone tell me how to upgrade can you skip OS,s i dont even run snow lepored. any help would be appreciated. dont know much about the computer but sure do love it.. Thanks Jim

M

MacInWin

Ok, to help you we need to know what Mac you have and what version of the OS you have on it. Click the apple logo in the upper left corner, then About this Mac and tell us what it says there. From there we can advise you on what your options may be.

C

chas_m

Broadly speaking, it's unwise to fall too far behind the latest when it comes to the OS. You don't at all have to upgrade to El Capitan this minute or anything, but you don't want to be still running something four versions back. There's no security fixes issued for OS versions past that, and that creates risks, so as a rule of thumb you want to be running the current OS version (ideally), or the most recent version, or maybe the one before that, but no further back than that.

If your machine CAN'T run the latest OS version, it's time to look at upgrades or a new(er) machine, even if you're not planning to upgrade. It's Apple's way of telling you that you are getting close to an unsupported system, and as I said that's a security risk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Also, what do you use the computer for?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We really need more info. Primarily it would be good to know exactly what model computer is this:

- iMac
- Mac-Mini
- Mac Pro
- MacBook Pro
- MacBook Air

Also…what OS version do you want/need to run?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It says OSX 10.6.8 processor 2.93 I 7 Any help at all I would appreciate.. Thanks Jim

10.6.8 is Snow Leopard, by the way. What do you use the computer for?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.