Mac crashes while accessing the internet

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a MacbookPro from 2012, OS X 10.10.5. It used to have random crashes (i.e. where it freezes and restarts). I re formatted it, repaired permissions and cleaned caches. Now it only crashes when I try to access the internet (using any browser - FF, Chrome, Safari). I uninstalled the flash plugin and it still crashes. Any ideas?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Run Recovery Mode and Repair Disk over the hard drive. What other software has been installed? Antivirus software? Mac keeper? CleanMyMac?

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks!

Didn't help. Repaired disk, deleted some duplicate fonts, repaired permissions and cleaned caches again. Don't have any Antivirus software / Mac keeper etc. Maybe upgrading to El Capitan will help (although I've been experiencing those crashes in Mavericks as well)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you create a new user account on the Mac and login from that account are you able to access the internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Deleted Flash problem gone simple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Odd, we have the latest Flash installed on three Macs and have no problems when using Safari and various OS X pre-Yosemite versions. Maybe the problem the OP is having is due the the flash site being visited…???

OP
I
Reaction score
Not really... No crashes with the new user i created, usual user crashes as usual (with or without flash). Ideas?

C

chas_m

It would be helpful if you could post in complete sentences, with more details.

So as I understand you, you're saying that when you created a new user and accessed the Internet through your browser(s) that way, you did not see any crashes. Is that correct?

Is it also fair to say that other programs that don't require the Internet work normally, and would I be correct to say that other programs that do need the Internet (like email, messaging, etc) also work correctly in your main account?

If that seems to be the case, then my guess would be that there is a browser add-on or bit of browser malware you've installed accidentally that could be causing the issue. I'd suggest downloading the free MalwareBytes app and checking for malware first, as that's the most likely cause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And having a look at the Console crash log(S) may give some indication of the problem. I say may, as they are not easy to read by a normal user.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you. Ran MalaeareBytes app, that didn't find any malware on my system. Disabled all the add-ons in my browser, but still experiencing crashes while accessing the internet. The crashes happen in random sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wondering here, what exactly is happening with your idea and description of what a "crash" is in your situation???

The browser, the whole OS and Mac, or just some particular web sites, or…..????

OP
I
Reaction score
The whole OS and Mac. It freezes, then it restarts (with the "your computer restarted because of a problem" notification), usually crashes again a few seconds after that, and then restarts.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't know if these two questions will help but here goes:
1. In the account where you are having problems do you have anything listed in the login items?
2. Have you added any new software recently?

OP
I
Reaction score
Nothing special in the login items - google drive and msng. Didn't add anything recently. Disabled all plugins and all add-ons on my browser (FF) and the crashes still happen. Would appreciate any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Newly created account does not crash, correct?
If so, move all your files to that account and after a "comfort period" delete the balky account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.