ClamXAV found issue on my Macbook Pro: what is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Installed any software such as Premium Opinion or similar?

And avoid downloading any software from CNET and Softonic. They ove loading you up with these little 'extras'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
This is a tracking program that may or may not have other "talents". ClamXAV should have done a good job of removing it.

According to this site: http://www.hotforsecurity.com/blog/top-5-malware-for-mac-os-x-users-should-know-about-996.html

"The OpinionSpy family of spyware is usually installed by a number of freely-distributed applications such as screen-savers and audio / video converters. The installer utility of these applications will fetch the spyware package, install it and run is with root privileges. Trojan.OSX.OpinionSpy.A poses as a marketing research tool, but it does more than collecting users’ browsing habits and preferences: it also opens backdoors and shuffles through a great number of documents found on both local and remote drives. The Trojan poses a great danger to the user’s privacy and to the security of the stored data."

So you probably installed some innocent looking app that brought a nice "gift" along with it.

Lisa

C

chas_m

ONLY download Mac apps from one of the rowing three places!

1. The Mac App Store
2. The developer's own website
3. MacUpdate.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
chas and I had a little debate over this about six months or so ago and I could not find that article at the time. Good one Lisa.

C

chas_m

The reason you couldn't find it six months ago, Harry, is because this article is from November. Six months ago, it wasn't happening.

Nonetheless, I'm disappointed to learn that MacUpdate may have bought into the junkware epidemic, and will take this up with the site owners at my first opportunity.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is it possible that I downloaded it from "savefrom", which downloads YouTube videos? That is the only place I can think of that I used recently that was not the usual three websites I browse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Anything is possible and as I have recently found out, MacUpdate could also be the culprit if you have downloaded from them.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.