Wifi & Ethernet Issues on Macbook Pro mid 2010

Reaction score
Here's my problem, every now and again my Macbook pro starts acting up when t's connected to either ethernet or wifi.It doesn't act like this constantly but when it does the symptoms are as follows. Pages wont load or if they do load it takes very long time to load.When My macbook pro starts malfunctioning and it is hooked up to either ethernet, or wifi, all other devices using the same router start malfunctioning. As soon as i disconnect the macbook pro from wifi/ ethernet, all other devices start functioning properly again.Steps Iv'e taken to try and solve the problem are as follows, Bought new router, reinstalled OS, adjusted Network settings,Firewall settings,wifi settings,Zapped Fram,Scanned for adware, firm wear, malware, viruses, all the crap like that.As long as the Macbook pro is functioning properly everything else is ok. Iv'e also noticed that disconnecting either ethernet or wifi,then reconnecting sometimes will temporarily fix the problem. but , not before to long its back to the same thing.Any Knowledgable advice would be greatly appreciated. I also am running the new OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 version

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Steps Iv'e taken to try and solve the problem are as follows, Bought new router, reinstalled OS, adjusted Network settings,Firewall settings,wifi settings,Zapped Fram,Scanned for adware, firm wear, malware, viruses, all the crap like that.

Three thoughts:

1. Can we assume that this network problem is at home?

2. Is there any regularity regarding how long your MacBook Pro is stable…before the network problems start? Basically will the MacBook Pro work for an almost repeatable amount of time before things go wrong?

3. If this problem is happening at home. Have you tried using this computer on a network somewhere outside of home. Such as a McDonald's, Panera Bread, Starbuck's, etc.?

-Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, my problem has been at home, and it really isn't limited to any time frame that it works, Sometimes it works for a hour, sometimes only 5 mins. That kinda why I have been reluctant to drive to McDonalds to try it there. My luck id sit there for over a hour and it wouldn't act up .

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That kinda why I have been reluctant to drive to McDonalds to try it there. My luck id sit there for over a hour and it wouldn't act up .

Yes…the randomness of this issue would sort of make things difficult when testing using a non-home network like McDonald's. I guess you got to go somewhere that you plan on being for a while (like maybe a library). Then just do a whole bunch of internet browsing, You Tube video watching, or online gaming until something happens (or not).

The reason for this testing is. To try to see of there is an issue with the home network or not. If the problem doesn't develop outside the home…then it would seem to be a home network issue. I know you mentioned that the home network works fine until this MacBook Pro is connected…so logically it would seem that the MBP is responsible for the whole home network slowness.

Are there any other Apple products using the home network successfully?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
guess I'm off too McDonalds

I guess it would be sort of funny if your MacBook Pro crashed the McDonald's WiFi system!!!;)

When/if your MacBook Pro starts to slowdown…just look around at other folks using their devices…and see if they start to get weird looks on their faces!;) Or if they get up & leave since the WiFi isn't working.

Maybe you could demand free food…or you won't leave. Kind of like keeping the McDonald's WiFi hostage with your possible MacBook Pro issue!;)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes Nick, I'm also using my iPhone 6 off the same wifi but it don't work either when the laptop is goofy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Nick, I'm also using my iPhone 6 off the same wifi but it don't work either when the laptop is goofy.

Yes…but does the iPhone 6 work fine when the MacBook Pro is not on the network? It would be nice if there was another Apple computer on your home network. That could make troubleshooting easier. Any possibility of anyone you know with an Apple computer (or borrowing someone's Apple computer) to use on your home network? Or maybe you have a 2nd Apple computer sitting in a closet somewhere you could test with.

Just throwing some ideas your way to help with the testing.:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah the iPhone works fine after I turn the wifi off on the laptop. That's how I've been troubleshooting.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well I'm back from my trip to McDonald's and I never lost signal while I was there. So I'm going to guess there's something wrong in my house. But I'm at a loss as to what to try next, like I said before I already replaced the router. So does anyone have any other ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm back from my trip to McDonald's and I never lost signal while I was there.

Out of curiosity…how long were you connected at McDonald's?

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
about a hour and every thing ran great it was super fast and I was running tons of stuff at the same time with no issues.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
about a hour and every thing ran great it was super fast and I was running tons of stuff at the same time with no issues.

Since it was about an hour…does this make you feel fairly confident that the computer is fine…and it may be something to do with the home network?

Believe me…I'm scratching my head too. Why does the MacBook Pro work fine at McDonald's…but not at home (when other computers at home work fine). Especially since you said you got a new router. And I'm thinking it's not a network setting issue…since the MacBook Pro worked fine at McDonald's.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Since Iv'e been back I have had to disconnect to and reconnect to wife 2 times in the last 30 mins

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would be nice if you had a 2nd Apple computer in the house that was working fine. Then you could compare/contrast the network settings.

- Nick

M

MacInWin

reconnect to wife 2 times in the last 30 mins
So many things I could say...

But, back to the network issue. Could it be your DNS settings? I know you mentioned you adjusted network settings, but if the DNS settings are not good, you can get some pretty squirrels performance. So what is in your DNS setting? System Preferences/Network, pick an interface, then Advanced and look at the DNS tab.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.