SMS/MMS backup

Reaction score
I am looking for a solution where i can keep my txt message file intact or am able to reinstall it after a fresh OS is installed.

I have been told by the geniuses at my local mac store that i have a somewhat corrupted OS and i need to do a fresh OS install. I can save everything but the sms/mms file as there exists, as far as i know, no separate back up for this file and i will lose it.

Can anyone help with a work around?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can you back up to iCloud or iTunes? Both backup your messages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No they don't, that's not how it works. It backs up you files and settings, not the OS.

Back up to iCloud and/or iTunes.

Restore the phone in iTunes, restore either backup.

M

MacInWin

Just to be clear, are we talking about the OS on an iPhone or on a Mac? You haven't said.

OP
K
Reaction score
MRPLOW and MacInWin...

MacInWin - talking about the OS on my phone

Once again thank you for the help...

When i was in the MAC store with the geniuses i was told the icloud/itunes backup would not work because in the restore process it will restore the corrupted files. I assumed he meant the OS but if as you say its not part of the backup then i am unsure what he was talking about.

He said i could back up photos to my library, and apps as well all separate from the backup, but i could not backup the SMS/MMS file separate of the backup and i would then lose the file.

Kip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would try the backup and restore that I've suggested and see if that resolves your issues.

It's the best chance of minimising loss of data.

If the issue persists (you haven't said what that issue is) then you can consider a product like iExplorer.

But I'd strongly suggest trying the 'standard' method first. It can resolve many issues.

OP
K
Reaction score
Mrplow,

Thank you for your help...

BU and Restore do not alleviate the problem.

My issue is with photos, my 6P and photos when syncing make copies of about 30 of the 9000+ photos on my phone, additionally the sync will not remove the photos from my phone. Even with 128g phone i am experiencing a space problem

I will try iExplore as you suggested, do you know the name of the SMS/MMS file i need to be looking for?

Kip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you've tried a back up and restore?

That's refreshed your OS. So it's your files at fault. After the restore don't sync. Uncheck photo sync in iTunes. Then sync.

Are your photos in iCloud or just on your device?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.