New MacBook Pro and Time Machine from current iMac

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a iMac and when I am out an about I use my iPad. I have found that the iPad does not do everything I want it to and so am going to buy the best MacBook Pro I can from the refurb shop.

Whilst I am happy enough and confident to install everything I need on the new MacBook it would be great if I could simply make my MacBook a clone of my iMac using my TimeMachine. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work, but I would want to continue use my iMac and occasionally update my MacBook, as required.

What I am fearful of is the possibility that after I have 'migrated' from the the iMac TimeMachine backup to the new MacBook, that the iMac would be deactivated somehow.

Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have done that very thing several times and can assure you that the machine you're migrating from will not be deactivated. One note... When you get your new MacBook Pro do not create an account on it prior to migrating from the iMac. The first time you turn on the new MacBook Pro it's going to ask if you wish to migrate data from another Mac. Just respond yes, attach your Time Machine drive to the new MacBook Pro, press OK, and everything will be migrated over including your account info. You'll be up and running on the new machine in short order.

M

MacInWin

And once you are up and running, if you want to keep the iMac an MBP in sync, look at ChronoSync to do that for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.