Closed thread? I don't understand....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 retina
Dear moderator,

I read your post and your decision to close my previous thread.
I don't understand.
I don't think I did anything illegal by trying to install my (regularly purchased and official) Windows 8.1 on my new iMac.
Since I didn't have a code key (the software came embedded into my old PC), I used a routine to read MY code key in MY copy of the software, in order to re-install it in my new platform. That's all.

I don't see what's wrong with it.
I don't think I did anything illegal, did I? That was not my intention, in any case.
I did NOT ask for assistance for installing a 'pirate and illegal' version of Win on my iMac. I just wanted to install MY version of it (the only version that will be used, since the old Vaio will be dismissed).

I find your comment ("very bad! We are not continue to support you!") totally inappropriate and out of place.

Have a nice day

Luciano

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
Totally agree. You knew you had a valid Windows key, but you just didn't understand the difference between OEM and Retail version of windows.

This was explained to you by me and you acknowledged the correct way of getting Windows on your new iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I guess they took offence about using (as implied) a key code generator. You should have received a copy of the Windows 8 CD when you purhased your PC, ( complete with activation code ) and you could not install via BootCamp without a CD or .iso image from Microsoft. OEM software will not install either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
I guess they took offence about using (as implied) a key code generator. You should have received a copy of the Windows 8 CD when you purhased your PC, ( complete with activation code ) and you could not install via BootCamp without a CD or .iso image from Microsoft. OEM software will not install either.

Ya, I believe they just associated it with a key code generator. The utility the OP used is not the same thing at all.

There are generally 4 methods of finding your Windows key: Reading the key off the tag on the bottom of the computer, documentation supplied with the computer, finding it in his registry or finally as a last option, using a utility to get the code. But since the OP has an OEM key, it is not transferable to his new iMac.

OP, I would also recommend just trying to use your Sony laptop for the few Windows based programs you still use. But if you truly want to run windows on your new iMac, here are your options for Windows 10:

OEM (just remember it will be tied to your new iMac forever):
- Home: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZSI7Y3U/?tag=macforums0e4-20
- Pro: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZSHDJ4O/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Retail:
- Home: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01019T6O0/?tag=macforums0e4-20
- Pro: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01019TDJ8/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@sidecarural:

You now have the proper instructions for installing Windows 8.1 on your new iMac. Those instructions are from member "azboomer". If you would have read our guidelines you would understand why we closed your thread.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 retina
Thank you all for your replay.

Just a small addizionali comment: I didn't sue a "fake key generator" but an utility to read my own Key in the register of my old pc. So, again, nothing illegal.

Now I understand - thanks to the posts that I received before my previous thread was blocked..... - that my version of Win cannot be transferred to my new platform... I simply didn't not know that (and nobody told me when I bought my old PC...).

Again, thanks to the members of this forum (and to azboomer in particular) for their support!

M

MacInWin

Actually, is is still not permitted to move an OEM version to a new installation. Yes, you paid for the license as part of the purchase of the machine, but that license is for THAT machine and no other. So reading the key with the purpose of installing on a different machine is a predecessor step to an illegal act, hence the closing of the thread. Now, if you had paid for a fully licensed version (not OEM) and had lost your key, reading the key in the registry for the purpose of uninstalling from that machine and installing on another would have been fine, as you are permitted to do that by MS, last time I looked at the license from them (admittedly many years ago). OEM licenses are more restricted than full purchase licenses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
Actually, is is still not permitted to move an OEM version to a new installation. Yes, you paid for the license as part of the purchase of the machine, but that license is for THAT machine and no other. So reading the key with the purpose of installing on a different machine is a predecessor step to an illegal act, hence the closing of the thread. Now, if you had paid for a fully licensed version (not OEM) and had lost your key, reading the key in the registry for the purpose of uninstalling from that machine and installing on another would have been fine, as you are permitted to do that by MS, last time I looked at the license from them (admittedly many years ago). OEM licenses are more restricted than full purchase licenses.

This has already been explained to sidecarural and he understands that. sidecarural's procedures and intent in his original thread were those of someone who has a retail windows key. Him not knowing the difference between OEM and Retail Windows is perfectly understandable and not piracy. I bet 99+% of people don't know the difference between those 2 different versions of Windows. No piracy could have been done even if he tried using that code as its not a pirated key, its just his OEM key and wouldn't work. Had he asked for a way to get Windows key without having to pay, that would be an act of piracy. Again, it just someone not knowing the difference between the 2 types of keys. This was explained and acknowledged before closure.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 retina
MacInWin,

actually it looks like I had an OEM version of Win, and I learned here that an OEM can only be used on the machine where it is originally loaded.
I didn't know that.
This is why I used a routine to read the key on the registry (since - of course - I could not find it elsewhere), and I thought it was legal and feasible to 'transfer' my win copy to another platform (under Boot Camp).
I learned here that this is not possible.
I take good note of this and I will do without Win on my new iMac (no use to pay big bucks to run a few minor applications under Win).

I only found a little rude and unjustified the tone used by the moderator to block my previous thread. I was just looking for help, and did not have the intention to do anything illegal.

OK, issue settled.

ciao
Luciano

M

MacInWin

So, again, nothing illegal.
From post #6 by sidecarural.

That was what I was responding to in my comment. I just wanted to be sure that any later reader of this thread doesn't think that there is any way to transfer an OEM license legally to another machine. It's technically possible but not legal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
You should have received a copy of the Windows 8 CD when you purhased your PC

I don't know is that is true. I've helped a few people with their Windows machines recently with versions going back to Win7 and even XP who didn't get any media with purchase. My old Acer laptop didn't come with a disc for Vista either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.