Keeping Win 8.1 for a while.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 retina
Hi all.

I have just purchased a brand new, shining iMac 27" 5k, and I am very happy with it.

Migration from Win8.1 was a rather smooth and easy process.

However, I would like to keep Win 8.1 in a small corner, just to continue to use 3 or 4 programs and a couple of games that are not available under OS X.

Now: of course I have a fully official Win 8.1 license, and a product key. but I don't have installation disks since my old Sony Vaio came with Win 7 installed, and I upgraded to Win 8 and then to Win 8.1 via download. I was able to obtain the product key of my Win 8.1 license through a small utility I found on the net, and now I do have my 25-digits code.

Now the question is: how do I install my good old Win 8.1 from the old platform to iMac? I understand Boot Camp does require a 'clean installation' from a physical device, which I don't have. I looked around the net, and I heard of ISO files and things like these, but frankly speaking I don't fully understand what I have to do: I'm stuck.

step-by-step suggestions/instructions would be much appreciated!

thanks

Luciano

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
Are you trying to use your Windows key from your Sony laptop? If so, that probably won't work. Those are OEM keys and only work on one system and are not transferable.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 retina
Are you trying to use your Windows key from your Sony laptop? If so, that probably won't work. Those are OEM keys and only work on one system and are not transferable.

Well, that was actually what I wanted to do, if possible: using my old Win 8.1 license on my new iMac.

In fact I will not use my Sony, anymore.... so I thought that I had the right to use my copy of the softwer on my new system....

However, I didn't get to the point of installing my Win 8.1 on the new iMac, yet, because I don't know how to do it.

Of course, no reason to waste my time if my Win key will work only on my good old Vaio, and not on my new iMac !!!!:(:(:(:(

Luciano

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
Nope, it does not work that way with OEM keys.

Basically, there are generally 2 types of windows keys: OEM and Retail. Company's like Sony, HP and Dell use OEM keys and can only be used on one device (laptop or desktop) and are not transferable. Also, people who build their own custom desktop PCs can buy OEM keys as well. But again, these are not transferable to a new system that might be built in the future.

If you buy a full retail copy of Windows, then you can transfer that OS to a new machine if you choose. But I believe retail can only be on 1 machine at a time.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 retina
thank you very much, azboomer.

that is not the answer that I wanted to read, but it is clear and makes sense.

so now my only chance would be to buy a full, retail copy of Win 8.1 (or better Win 10, at this point) and install it on my iMac.... well, I am not sure the cost of a full retail version is justified to run a few minor programs an one or two old games.... I should probably re-think!

thank you for your assistance, very useful and clear.

ciao
Luciano (Milan, Italy)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
.... well, I am not sure the cost of a full retail version is justified to run a few minor programs an one or two old games....

Keep the old computer setup as it is. Then you can still use those minor programs and play those old games as necessary.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was able to obtain the product key of my Win 8.1 license through a small utility I found on the net, and now I do have my 25-digits code.

And we are not going to help you with this in any event since the only legal product key for Windows 8.1 comes from Microsoft not a "small utility". Buy a legal copy of Windows 10 and come back for help. Until then this thread is closed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was able to obtain the product key of my Win 8.1 license through a small utility I found on the net, and now I do have my 25-digits code.

Very bad!!!:(

- Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.