Memory Usage

Reaction score
I recently updated my iMac to use for work and am running 10.11.1. Everything has been running well for a 6yo computer (that really hasn't been run that hard), but there's something wrong. I only have Safari open, yet all my RAM is being used. I've run CleanMyMac 3 several times. I've run the Disc Utility several times. I go into Activity Monitor and see a bunch of stuff (that I don't understand) is running, but I can't get the memory usage to drop. Any ideas? My next step is the nuclear option of a complete erase and install of everything. I really don't want to do that unless I have to.

Any help helps.

joe

C

chas_m

CleanMyMac = junk ware.

You didn't say how much RAM you have. It could simply be that modern programs need more than what you have.

However, since you specifically mention Safari, I'm going to guess that you're "closing" the app rather than actually quitting it, which is exacerbating the "memory leak" issue.

OP
S
Reaction score
Right. Sorry. I have 4Gb of RAM. I know what you're saying about the "closing" versus "quitting", but I am quitting. The only app with a dot under it is Safari. I don't know much about this stuff. This thing is a tool for my work and I'm constantly learning, so CleanMyMac seemed like a good idea at the time. It does seem to use a boatload of memory while it's there.

Thanks for replying. This is my first time in a thing like this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Don't worry about it. Newer OS versions (10.9, 10.10, and 10.11) manage ram differently.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
It's not a matter of worry. It's a matter of efficiency. My computer is slow due to the problem.

My patience for computers is limited. Do you ever think about how much time of your life is wasted just waiting for a computer to process? It freaks me out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not a matter of worry. It's a matter of efficiency. My computer is slow due to the problem.

- Reboot the computer more often (if you don't reboot much).
- Make sure your storage is not too full.
- Get rid of CleanMyMac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Run the free maintenance app "Onyx".
- Maybe a ram upgrade to 8gig.

* Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
That's a lot of exclamation marks. I should probably delete that app.

I'll try out Onyx. I think upgrading would be a good idea too.

Thanks Nick.

joe

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a lot of exclamation marks.

We generally find that the folks that have apps like "CleanMyMac", "MacKeeper", etc. installed...tend to have many more problems than folks who don't have these apps installed.

I would almost classify folks that have these apps installed in two groups:

1. Those that are currently having problems!
2. Those that are going to have problems!;)

If someone is having problems…and we find that they have these apps installed. Uninstalling these apps first…is a good initial troubleshooting step.:)

- Nick

p.s. Yes that bear-dog has his moments! Thanks.:)

C

chas_m

My patience for computers is limited. Do you ever think about how much time of your life is wasted just waiting for a computer to process? It freaks me out.

If you're doing more waiting on the computer than the computer is doing waiting on you, it's time for BIG CHANGES. That should never be happening.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.