Mail Slowdown

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.8GHz Core i7 4GB; MacBook Pro 13.3" Core i5 4GB
iMac, 27" late 2009 Core i7, 2,8 Ghz, 12 GB Ram, running OS 10.11.1, Safari 9.0.1, Mail Version 9.0.1. Use iCloud and Comcast IMAP after Comcast finally allowed me to n=move from POP to IMAP. Problem started after switching to El Capitan: If I want to save a message (ex: to Desktop or Documents) the process is very lengthy and the new beach ball spins for quite a while. Sometimes it fails entirely and the process must be repeated. I contacted Apple support and the advisor liked at my screen when the above actions were occurring. After looking at a few other things, the advisor declared that the problem was probably the combination of an older iMac and a new OS. Does this sound plausible? Are there any known problems with El Capitan that I am not aware of? Thanks in advance for any ideas or assistance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One thing you can do is add more memory to your iMac and MBP. You only have 4 GB in both of your machines which is the bare minimum for running El Capitan. Your iMac can probably take up to 16 GB of memory (I believe) and it should be an easy task to add memory. Also, the amount of free hard drive space will make a difference. The more free space you have, the better.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I haven't updated my info - iMac actually has 12 GB memory. MBP has 4GB but the situation described above does not occur on the MBP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your iMac certainly has enough memory to run El Capitan. If you have adequate hard drive free space remaining, then I suggest running a verify on the hard drive itself. Boot to recovery (restart holding command + r ). When in recovery, select Utilities, Disk Utility. Verify your Macintosh HD and let us know what it says.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your iMac certainly has enough memory to run El Capitan. If you have adequate hard drive free space remaining, then I suggest running a verify on the hard drive itself. Boot to recovery (restart holding command + r ). When in recovery, select Utilities, Disk Utility. Verify your Macintosh HD and let us know what it says.

Tried your suggestion and had an Apple phone expert look at the results. That found nothing but have taken a sampling of some sort and I am waiting. Here is the basic situation: On my iMac, while in Mail, I get the spinning ball and very slow action frequently and often for periods in excess of 2 to 4 minutes. I always get the ball and slowdown if I attempt to use "Save As" under File. Nothing similar happens on my MBP which is on the same network. Nothing similar happens on any other system on my iMac. Any ideas are helpful and appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.