Accidentally deleted my Documents folder, oops

M

MacInWin

Is it still in the trashcan? If so, you can just restore it from there. If not, use the drive MINIMALLY as every time you do anything you run the risk of overwriting the files.

OP
M
Reaction score
Wait, let me explain. My Macbook is new, and Documents had no files in it. I just want to restore the foyer itself for future use.

M

MacInWin

Ah, much easier. Just create it. Right click in hour home folder, name it Documents. Done.

CORRECTION: Click on the top bar in Finder while in your Home folder, Select FILE, then New Folder, name it Documents. Now you are done.

M

MacInWin

That's a "smart folder" and not your home. Home is the folder with your login name. In Findet, it is the one with the house icon, and it's where all of your files are.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Another way to get to your Home Folder is, Open Macintosh HD. You should see Users. Click on that, then you should see your user name, (that is also where the house icon is they have been talking about), click on your user name and you will see Desktop. Downloads, Videos. Music, ETC. There is where you make your Documents folder. You can either Right click and select New Folder or go to Finder then File and New Folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Wait a minute! How did you do this? When I click on my Documents folder and then Delete, I get this message:
“Documents” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I suspect she didn't actually delete the documents folder since it's a system folder and can't be removed. She may be referring to the documents folder on the dock (alias) or she accidentally hid the documents folder in Finder preferences.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never tried to delete my Documents folder. Interesting. If he means the Dock it's easy. Just Drag it to the Right Side of the Dock.

OP
M
Reaction score
I accidentally dragged it out of the sidebar: now I see that is all that happened. I solved it. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.