Need for antivirus or disk defragmentation on Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
No and probably not. That is the short answer.

If you search this forum you will find most do not recommend running any anti-virus apps. There are several reasons but the simplest reason is most (99%) malware targets Windows. I like to run Malwarebytes for mac periodically just to feel safe (I am a recovering Windows-holic. ;D ) It is free.

As for defraging, OS X doesn't write to disks the same way windows does. Mostly running first aid in Disk Utility or using Onyx will fix any issues. Here is an article on mac hard drives and defragmentation:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-defrag-speed-up-mac-3600241/

Lisa

Edit: Just thought to add - NEVER defrag an SSD. Totally different animal as compared to a mechanical hard drive.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And I would add regarding the defragging. Don't know the specs of your computer (not listed in your profile). But if it has an SSD or flash storage…defragging tools are NOT supposed to used on this type of storage media.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick ok great to know. Mine is SSD, so no need. Thanks!

When you get to China…please keep visiting Mac-Forums. We need more members from China!!!;)

We do have a number of members from the greater Asia-Pacific area.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.