• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

New to Mac OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5,2Ghz,200GB.Mac Book Pro,1.83 Ghz,80GB,512MB.30GB video iPod
OK guys,I'm new to Mac and never used it before.Never been interested in.
I have downloaded some some movies,in .avi format.For some reason my computer is not playing them.
What is the optimal software I should get to play the movies.
Also,how do I go about making dvd's.Let's say I want to burn .avi files,any suggestions?
thanks in advance.

A

antizero

Umm, well quicktime can play .avis but the files you're trying to play might be encoded with DivX... www.divx.com to get the codec.
to burn a dvd, just stick a blank dvd in your superdrive and drag the files to it in finder... simple as that, I just burned my first dvd a few minutes ago, no problems at all.

OP
forex@mac.com
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5,2Ghz,200GB.Mac Book Pro,1.83 Ghz,80GB,512MB.30GB video iPod
antizero said:
Umm, well quicktime can play .avis but the files you're trying to play might be encoded with DivX... www.divx.com to get the codec.
to burn a dvd, just stick a blank dvd in your superdrive and drag the files to it in finder... simple as that, I just burned my first dvd a few minutes ago, no problems at all.

So I don't have to convert it into another format in order to burn a dvd?Will I be able to play it on a dvd player then?
I tried to play it on quicktime,but for some reason I can only hear the voice,but no image.Voice is not clear as well,what could it be?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.