power issues for Imac in Indonesia

Reaction score
......the painter...hi everyone....!Imac devotee....never unhappy as Imac is important tool in bisiniz....fabulous functions....Apple Ethics......what makes me cry...onions...and Indonesia electric!

Stabilzers?......devices for voltage regulation.. UPS...battery backup/alarm device...when power drops below operational quality....reality is?..thats a question...Stabilizers cannot increase voltage?...only decrease....surge...???

.....UPS....is alarm? with battery supply to ensure enough time....for protocol shut down procedure.....

...........there is no way to.....increase... voltage from a low supply?...electrical supply enhancement Ha!...I ask this ...coz....radical behaviour in electricity supply....creates damage ..unless....a machine has.....for instance...inbuilt voltage regulator....Imac has this?.....and robust integrity for dealing with power...outs....that are on the increase in Indonesia/Bali (where I am now).....and for people using Imacs...in this country......some definitive info in existence ...as to options for protecting the machine....and dealing with issues...that arise...diagnostic info....that presents the best possible...SET UP.....to deal with this very important issue....I just embraced mac.forum.com....hope that my inquiries makes sense...I am not "educated in computer language...a novice"....as with so much life...I use it..but I don't know much about it!!!!!!

..if buying a machine in Indonesia...be sure to buy the Apple....guarantee offer on replacements....here..it matters.

the truth is...Indonesia and Imac...have a compromised situation.......its not the power outs..but the damage to the machine...I'd like to limit/resolve...HOW?

Regards.....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Most UPS units will prevent damage from brownouts. Even better would be a SmartUPS with line conditioning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go through the threads for a post by one Rod Sprague who also resides in Indonesia and I am sure a personal message to Rod will help.

To PM click under their name and gdown to PM.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi thepainter, I see you have a number of questions about the power supply in Bali.
I am also in Bali so I understand your concerns. I am not at home today but I have sent you a friend request and I will get back to you tomorrow with some answers. Only have my iPhone with me at the moment.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
After some investigation and conversation with locals it appears that a Smart UPS as bobtomay suggested is the best answer. I am waiting on a reply from a friend of a friend who runs a Mac Cafe of what brand and cost. This guy has six iMacs running constantly in Denpasar, Bali so if he has a good answer I will let you know brand name and supplier.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
CyberPower is another good one, typically offering the same functionality at a lower price point than the APC branded devices if they are available there. I have 2 of the CyberPower devices - both were the previous year model releases when I bought them - at a pretty good discount. APC and CyberPower are the 2 brand names I've used over the years.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Rod, you have gone to an enormous amount of trouble to help out. This exemplifies the best of what these Forums are about, if I may say so.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Tripplite also makes some very good UPS products as well to add to the list:
http://www.tripplite.com/products/ups-systems~11

I'm not sure if they have any distributors in Bali or even Indonesia.

But I would have thought that Indonesia would have some very good manufacturers of their own and probably much creeper as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But I would have thought that Indonesia would have some very good manufacturers of their own and probably much creeper as well.

Those doggone UPS's that creep are just so hard to find anymore. :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those doggone UPS's that creep are just so hard to find anymore. :Evil:

Now what can I blame for putting in creeper instead of cheaper??? Or is spellcheck just getting out of control??? :[

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Maybe it was your subliminal thoughts? ;P LOL, always best to blame the typos on the out of control spell check. ;D

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys, I might add the UPS devices I recommended are easily available in Jakarta and will ship within Indonesia. There are a number of local distributers as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys, I might add the UPS devices I recommended are easily available in Jakarta and will ship within Indonesia. There are a number of local distributers as well.

That might be a very sensible idea considering some of the apparent cabling in some areas… :Oops:

BN-AO830_PHpowe_G_20131128003034.jpg electrical-lines-in-Kathmandu.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
the painter . . . .I have a APC model Back-UPS RS 1000G. It has been replaced by a newer model with almost the same specs/features. The 1000G was brand new and the new model was out, so i got mine at a very good price. I run computer, printer, monitor, digital phone and cable (internet), powered USB hub, and some powerful Adam A5X speakers through my APC UPS. It handles all these things without any problems. Although I live in a well populated area, the munincipal power is horrible for a "civilized" place. In the past, I would come home from work and realize there had been a power interruption sometime during the day...all clocks flashing and computer shut down. It was so bad that I was extremely hesitant about leaving the computer in sleep mode. Before I installed the UPS, I lost a hdd (lots of bad sectors actually) and OS was corrupted a few times...due soley to power problems. Now with the UPS in place, my peripherals remain powered during an outage.
As I use my computer, I watch the display on the UPS. It is amazing to actually see the surges, power failures, power fluctuations, and "brownouts" that make the APC UPS kick in when it needs to. I have configured the UPS to a very sensitive setting to capture and surges, spikes, and outages. The UPS does well at removing RF (AM radio station 1000 yards from my house) and pops from the HVAC unit and fluorescent lights. Before the UPS, turning on the light would make a loud POP...a terrible thing for high end speakers. I'm sure the house probably has wiring issues, too. Good luck in your quest.

Brent Wilson

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.