Supposed PFkeeper on mac

Reaction score
Hello all.

Strange problem I can't seem to find anything about. On my 10.8.5 mac book pro I keep getting prolific unstoppable popup warnings that PC keeper is not installed. This only happens in Safari. Fire fox and Chrome are fine. But I occasionally find myself in situations where I have to use Safari as I am now. It had hijacked my home page though I was able to change it back and puts up click items some of which are invisible to direct me towards advertisements. It will even paste its own advertising video over the legitimate video source. They will close, but each new page loads them over again. Possibly not related, my default search engine changed to bing somehow. Changing it back to google now results in yahoo doing my searches. PCkeeper and mackeeper show up nowhere in my applications. I searched for flashback pairs and don't appear to have any and am up to date except for el capitan/mavericks which I already tried and hated so please skip obligatory "update your OS" answer.

Please Help! No one even appears to be talking about this anywhere.

Thanks in advance

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Follow this link to remove Safari's saved state and then reset Safari from the Safari menu. That should eliminate the nagging. It may not hurt to run MalwareBytes as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.