transferring from old MB to new MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13” early 2015 -iPhone 13 Max Pro - iPad Pro
Sorry to bother but I'm not so tech savvy - I need to transfer my files from my old 2008 mb running Snow Leopard to my brand new 13" mb pro that pretty sure has Yosemite - I've just taken it out of the box - got to say it's pretty cool! I've been reading some of the q/a on Apple support but I sure could use some clarification as it looks like there's a few variations depending on what OS the old mb is running.
So am I able to just use the "set up assistance" on the new mbp or will I need to use the "migration assistant"?? I'll most likely being transferring over wi-fi with both computers on the same network. I don't think the new mbp has an ethernet port to use to connect to my old mb? I have no adapters for the new mbp.
this is what I think I know:
1) I'll need to "name" my old mb
2) backup on my external hard drive - my passport for mac
before starting this process -
another question, since the new mbp is on Yosemite - what's best way to get El Capt - would I upgrade this after I've transferred over from the old mb or would it be better to upgrade prior to transferring? I'm guessing that if it's prior to then I would have to go the "migration assistant" route? The "set up assistant" screen on the new mbp looks pretty inviting it eludes "trust me, it'll be easy" :Evil:

the only other software programs that I have is Microsoft Word for Mac 2008 - I still have the install disk. Photoshop Elements was a purchased
download 2008/2009 I have the serial # written down somewhere - my printer is HP Photosmart 8180c - everything else is in itunes & iphoto, few digital videos on my desktop (might be in itunes as well) and some misc folders on the desktop.
any guidance/clarification & pit falls to avoid would be so appreciated - I'm so excited to see what the retina thing is all about!
thanks so much for your time, patience; kindness!
Georgia

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well the first thing I would say is forget about the El Capitan upgrade for now (it really is a separate issue) and concentrate on getting your data from the old MB to the new MBP.
One thing that would make your life easier would be to upgrade your old MB to Mavericks. Upgrading to Yosemite is not possible at the moment but upgrading to Mavericks will bring most of your software up to date making it more compatible with Yosemite. This applies in particular to iPhoto.
First update anything you can in Snow Leopard. Perform a full backup to a dedicated external USB HD with Time Machine. When I say dedicated I mean erased and empty and a little larger than the HD on your Mac Book. Download the Mavericks installer from the App Store. Run the installer. Perform any updates to Mavericks that are required.
So assuming all that works, and it should, you can now use Migration Assistant to transfer your files and data from your old MB to your new MBP. This can be done over WiFi if both devices are on the same WiFi Network so no cables required.
I know this seems like a lot of work but it is mostly because Apple seems to assume that everyone will update or upgrade as new Operating Systems are released. This is clearly not so. Many people like yourself are still using Snow Leopard. However had you updated you would only have needed the Migration Assistant step.
Unfortunately there have been some new developments with the introduction of Photos in Yosemite and the phasing out of iPhoto. In order to transition to Yosemite which does not have iPhoto you need to have had it in Mavericks. If you do not upgrade your iPhoto Library to the latest version of iPhoto available in Mavericks you will not be able to open the library with Photos in Yosemite.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey Rod
thanks for the reply - I checked the app store - mountain lion, lion & maverick - are all unavailable - I don't think so but not certain that my old mb will handle maverick - here's what on my old mb Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f1

that's good info to know about iphoto & yosemite - my photos are important to me - so not to sure about how to proceed other than take both computers to the Apple store to transfer?
thanks again!
Georgia

C

chas_m

Migration Assistant will handle this if you haven't yet set up an account on the new machine. If you have, why? You were prompted during the setup to connect your old machine by USB or Ethernet.

Using Migration Assistant if you've already set up an account can be tricky if you've already starting saving things you have to have on it. If you haven't, it's much easier.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Really if you are not tech minded and the option is available to you taking it to an Apple Genious Bar might save you a lot of grief.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
hey Rod
thanks for the reply - I checked the app store - mountain lion, lion & maverick - are all unavailable - I don't think so but not certain that my old mb will handle maverick - here's what on my old mb Model Name: MacBook
… … …
Georgia

You are correct about what your old MB can run:
"Maximum MacOS: X 10.7.5*"

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...duo-2.4-white-13-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=MacBook4,1

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here's my follow up question: what's the pros/cons of purchasing Mountain Lion to install on my old MacBook running on Snow Leopard - will that make the migration a bit smoother for transferring the files over to my new MacBook pro running on Yosemite?? Looking on Apple it appears that I can buy Mt Lion; Apple will forward over a link to use in Apple Apps to install. I'm not quite getting why Apple just doesn't offer it to buy straight from Apple Apps?? If there's enough pros to justify the $19.99 cost for the old MacBook - pls confirm that Mt Lion will fit on the old MacBook - I'm assuming that it will; also, can I go directly from Snow Leopard to Mt Lion (skipping installing Lion)
Model Name: MacBook

If all goes well with the migration over to the new MacBook pro - how do I get my existing iPhoto library into Photos on Yosemite?? Since I'm not able to install Maverick on the old MacBook? Surely there's a work around??
thanks so much for any advise & guidance - everyone sage wisdom & expertise is very much appreciated!
Georgia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Forget about any "…pros/cons of purchasing Mountain Lion to install on my old MacBook…" if you even read my post above. That OS X won't even install on it.

FYI: Mac OS X 10.7.5 = Lion
Mac OS X 10.8.x = Mountain Lion

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes; thank you, pm-r I did read your earlier post; I thought you were confirming that I would not be able to install maverick

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dear gyoung929, through no fault of your own you have waited a little too long to smoothly transition to the current OS and I suspect you are not alone. Many people stuck with the very stable Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on their older machines because it worked very well and frankly Lion OS 10.7.5 was not as good in many ways, but it did have iCloud services. Unfortunately photo stream was not one of those iCloud services available in Lion.
I really think you will save yourself a LOT of work and heartache if you take the device to a service centre and pay to have this done for you.
The process is one of copying your iTunes Library and loading it into the latest version of iTunes that is compatible and allowing it to Update the library to a point where it is compatible with Yosemite/El Capitan.

C

chas_m

Actually, less than five percent of active Macs are on Snow Leopard, but every single one of those people has turned up here in recent weeks. :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes dear Rod, you are correct sir:) I have an apt set up this weekend at the Apple Genius bar to get everything up & running! I'm excited to get to use the new mbp take it for a test drive. I'm ready to get to doing the things that I like & understand a bit more instead of burning brain cells on something that's not in my particular wheel house. I appreciate everyone's time & advise but it's time to bid all a farewell :D
Thanks again!
Georgia

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, Chas I wouldn't have been here if my bank had not sent an email saying my browser will not be supported on their web site; should be updated :[
I would have most likely been a card carry member of the 5% club LOL My old 2008 black MacBook still looks & runs great - granted it wasn't as fast as it was new, but then either am I :)
thank you for your time/advise - I've read many of your posts in many of the topics; have gotten some very useful tips/information.
thanks again!
Georgia

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha,ha, Come on Chas_m, I remember in 2012 Mac computer users were estimated at 66 million and it has grown since then. I hope we don't get even 1%.
Might as well just copy the best response and paste it into each query.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.