Onyx

Reaction score
Hi, I did a search on the new Macoptimizer and I opened a page which purported to be this forum. It was recommended by the editor that you touch nothing that was Mac anything and to download a program onyx I went to the link and downloaded the program it was Mackeeper which I have been warned against. It was not the program reviewed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hope you didn't install MacKeeper.

Did you have a question hidden in there?

If you are looking for Onyx, there is only one place to download it from and be assured you can get the correct version matching the version of OS X you are running and that would be direct from the developer, here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
While this forum "may" advertise Mackeeper, we have no control over what gets advertised here.
I don't think the admins have control either. If you have questions about something you see here, just ask.
And I recommend either supporting the forum for the ad-free skin (or get a good ad-blocker).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
And please consider donating something to the developer of this great app. so he/she can keep up the good work.
( Note: I am not the developer ;) )

Cheers ... McBie

C

chas_m

The forum is not an app, or perhaps you mean OnyX ... in which case you should definitely donate. Every couple of years I send him €10 as a thanks for all the great work.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, I did a search on the new Macoptimizer and I opened a page which purported to be this forum. It was recommended by the editor that you touch nothing that was Mac anything and to download a program onyx I went to the link and downloaded the program it was Mackeeper which I have been warned against. It was not the program reviewed.

Thank you for your comments, My query was I wondered why the Moderator would post alink which I believed was going to be onyX and then when I went to the page and downloaded it was Mackeeper. I suppose someone with malicious thoughts could have a misleading name and it was not the moderator at all. No I did not install it will look for the right site now. Again thank you

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You must have the wrong forum, because there is no moderator on this forum that would post a link suggesting you install MacKeeper.

There is also no need to look for the right site for Onyx. A link to it has been provided for you twice in the posts above - in post # 2 and # 5.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...My query was I wondered why the Moderator would post alink which I believed was going to be onyX and then when I went to the page and downloaded it was Mackeeper.

Sorry to suggest it. But the mistake may have been yours.;) Many webpages that have links on them for downloading legitimate apps…are also setup with a lot of very confusing graphics…and sometimes have multiple "Download" buttons on them. Many times the larger & more visible download button will be for an advertisers product (such as MacKeeper in this case). And the ACTUAL download button for the desired app (Onyx in this case)…is smaller & less visible.

This is EXACTLY how these webpages are designed. To make the advertisers "download button" to be more prominent than the desired app's "download button". So even if someone on an internet forum did provide a link to Onyx that seemed to be nasty or malicious. The real deal is…the incorrect download button on the web page may have been clicked on by the user.;)

Here's a perfect example of what I'm saying. Here's a cnet.com webpage link for Onyx:

http://download.cnet.com/OnyX-Mavericks/3000-18512_4-75749743.html

Do you see those Big Green "DOWNLOAD NOW" buttons?? Those are NOT for Onyx!!! Those are for a "Mac Cleaner" app. Lots of luck finding the ACTUAL download link for Onyx. It's there but not very easy to find (this is exactly how these sort of webpages are designed). They are designed to confuse the user…and get you to download the incorrect app from an advertiser (which is exactly what happened I bet).

I'm betting you clicked on the incorrect download link.;)

- Nick

Last edited:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thank you for your comments, My query was I wondered why the Moderator would post alink which I believed was going to be onyX and then when I went to the page and downloaded it was Mackeeper.
Was this link actually double underlined (and possibly green in colour)? If so, that was an ad injected into the post which would explain why it looked as if the poster, in this case a mod, posted that content.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for all your comments, I an new to Mac and 75 not a good combination but learning. One ends to take things at face value at times. Fortunately I am pretty cautious and have not to my knowledge done anything to jeopardise my iMac, Macbook,iPad or iPhone. I do have a problem with my Macbook air and trying to hook it up to the tv. I have el capitan on the macbook and when trying to show photos via my tv. The screen with the up triangle is at the top but when you click on it airply is off cannot turn it on. Ah well will get there eventually.

Reaction score
Thank you for all your comments, I an new to Mac and 75 not a good combination but learning. One ends to take things at face value at times. Fortunately I am pretty cautious and have not to my knowledge done anything to jeopardise my iMac, Macbook,iPad or iPhone. I do have a problem with my Macbook air and trying to hook it up to the tv. I have el capitan on the macbook and when trying to show photos via my tv. The screen with the up triangle is at the top but when you click on it airply is off cannot turn it on. Ah well will get there eventually.
Hang in. As you imply, with patience such problems find a solution.
Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.