Can't partition USB stick with Disk Utility - partition button disabled

Reaction score
Hello, On a Mac Book Pro/ El Capitan, i'm trying to partition an USB stick with Disk Utility but the "Partition" button is disabled. I tried other USB sticks and it's the same. What i'm i doing wrong ? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello,
You should be able to if you highlight the main external drive name in the Externals list to the left of the GUI or pane?

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi! Yes, i highlight the drive in the list and the "Partition" button i still disabled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I believe that most UFD ( e.g USB Flash Drives or sticks) come with Master Boot Record partition maps because they are most commonly used on PC's. If you hover your cursor over the greyed out 'Partition' button after you highlight the name of the physical disk as we discussed earlier you will probably see this message pop up.."Disks with Master Boot Record partition maps can not be partitioned"

Back up the data and erase the drive and reformat it to your choice of format (I use OSX Extended Journaled) but using the scheme GUID Partition Table ,you should then be able to proceed to partition it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina 8GB
Hello all,

I have the same problem as adrianppa.
I was trying to encript an external disk and I've got this "A GUID partition table partition scheme is required". So I erased all the data of my disc and then formated with OS Extended Journaled. I still got the same problem: partition button disabled.
How do you format the external disk using that scheme GUI partition?
Thank you all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina 8GB
Sorry to get back to this "old" topic, but I still haven't found any solution for this GUI partition.
Thank you all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Erase and format Mac OS Extended first, then into Partition and under Options select GUID format, and then partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.